Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did quite a bit of shooting last Monday in preperation for the Early Antlerless Season. I brought my T/C Omega (which I hunted with last season for ALL of the firearms seasons). I also brought my trusty .30/.30 Marlin (with over a dozen kills to her credit).

I'll start with the smokepole. I'm still quite new to the muzzleloading game. My previous setup was T7 pellets, T7 primers, 250 XTP, with a 3petalEZ sabot. I've been wanting to try the new BH209, so I broke down and bought a jug. I also wanted to try some 300 XTPs as the reports I've heard from BH209 shooters is that there is little velocity penalty when stepping up from 250 to 300. I started off at 50 yds with 90gr (vol) BH209, 300gr XTP, HPH-24 sabot, and a W209 primer. First shot punched out the center, second shot touched the first shot. Sweet. Time to move to 100yds. I did switch sabots for the next shots because the HPH-24's were very difficult to load (I have a really tight barrel). The next 5 shots at 100 yards were all within 3 inches and grouped about 3" low. I re-zeroed the scope to be dead-on and 100 and took 3 more shots. The first punched out the center. the second shot 1" left, the third touched the first. I intended to work-up a powder load with 90 being the starting point, but I decided I would leave it right there. Keep in mind that at no point did I swab the barrel. No problems loading using the 3petalEZ. This set-up exceeded my expectations as I am admittedly not a very good shooter. I did not clean the the gun until Wednesday night. No rusty patches and clean up was easy with Hopps #9.

Now for the .30/30. I have always used 170gr CoreLokts out of this gun, but wanted to try the LeverEvolution ammo from Hornady. I started out with the the leftover Remingtons that I had from last year. First 5 shots had a 4 shot group of about 3" with 1 flyer about 4" low (flinch?). Then switched to the Hornady's. First shot 14" right 6" low, second shot 10" right 4" low, third 7" right 3" low. WTH? I stopped, cleaned the barrel, replaced the paper and took 4 more shots. This gave me about a 6" group that was about 7" right and 3" low with 1 flyer about 8" above the rest of the group. Rezeroed scope, changed paper, 4 more shots. Now a 5" group with no flyers. The Hornady's were also making a strange tear on the paper, so I just don't think they're flying real well. Had 3 Rems left and fired them off which gave me about a 4" group. Overall I was very disappointed with this setup. I don't know if I have an issue with the gun, or if the it just doesn't like the ammo. But even with the Corelokts it didn't group real well. Any thoughts? Is this just normal performance for a short-barrelled lever gun? It's been a few years since I shot it, and maybe this is the way it's always been.

I'm going to try some more shooting in the next couple weeks, but right now it looks like the Omega is king, and the lever gun will stay in it's case as I have no confidence with it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for the report. I have a jug of BH209 that I hope to get out with next week and hopefully I'll have as good of results.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Check your scope mounts, make sure the screws are tight. Loose mounts can make range sessions very frustrating!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Blackhorn is some wonderful stuff isn't it? It will for sure change the blackpowder market as soon as everyone catches on to it. They need to do more advertising on it!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Blackhorn is some wonderful stuff isn't it? It will for sure change the blackpowder market as soon as everyone catches on to it. They need to do more advertising on it!
It may change the "black powder substitute" market.

It won't have any effect on the black powder market. ;)

-na

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thanks for the report on the .30-30.

I usually use CoreLokt as well. Both 150 and 170 gr. With a scope the best I ever got was a 1 5/8" three shot group at 100yds. Most groups were 2"+. Surprising for a lever gun.

I've since removed the scope and have gone to open sights on my .30-30's. Even gave away my Williams scope rings so there's no going back. I'll be adding a peep sight to both when I can swing it.

I'd love to have the one lever gun that prints MOA with LeverEvolution but thats not gonna happen.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried some .44 and .30-30 LeverEvolutions for the first time today and wasn't too happy with either one of them.

The .44 Evolutions grouped worse than the 240 JHP American Eagles that I usually shoot in my Contender pistol. I guess that's OK with me as the Eagles are cheaper anyway.

As far as the .30-30's the LeverEvolutions grouped the same as CoreLokts in my Marlin Lever but the Evolutions had an oblong or keyhole shaped hole like you mentioned.

I am going to stick with the ole tried and true AE and CoreLokts myself.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Interesting news on the new Hornady ammo. I was going to try some in a Marlin 444 but after shooting some Remington core-lokt ammo that grouped to 1" at 50 yards there is now way im messing with the ammo now.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you said you used 90 grains by volumn
what is the differance between grains and vol
What I mean is that I do not weigh my charges. I use a TC U-view powder measure which measures by volume. As far as I know these volumetric measuring devices are calibrated for black powder where 100 grains on the measure should equal 100 grains in weight. BH209, however, weighs differently than blackpowder (as does other blackpowder subs). I believe the 90 grains that I was using probably actually weighs somewhere around 60 grains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts