Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Absolutely. Won a doe hunt at the Sanctuary in Mecosta 15 years ago. Deer were almost tame. We walked out to a blind. The deer paid little attention. Picked one and shot. Hunt lasted 10 minutes. That said I have nothing against game ranches and those that use them.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Free range or nothing

·
Registered
387 Posts
I used to work on a deer ranch in WI when I was in HS. I ran a dump truck for the ranch owner, picking up cull potatoes for the deer. I did a little "guiding," and so I interacted with several clients over a few years. I had some good and bad experiences, but my cumulative experience left me torn, for two reasons:

1. Some of these guys don't have the time to scout, plant food plots, build blinds, and hunt. But, they do have the money, and want to experience something that approaches hunting during the 3-5 days they can get away from their six-figure jobs. This doesn't describe all of them--I could tell you some stories--but most of them are good-hearted people who understand what they are doing is not real hunting, and they don't pretend it is.

2. They are allies in the battle against the true adversaries...the anti-hunters, who view us as equivalent.

I don't think it's hunting, but I don't begrudge a man or woman spending his or her money on a legal activity that brings him or her joy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I helped out on a cull a couple years ago at a ranch that a friend of mines boss owned. It was just shooting, not anything you could remotely call hunting. We would go out and shoot 5 bring them in and process them then go shoot 5 more. We did that all day for two days, by the end off it I didn't even want to see a deer.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
I have never hunted on one and never really wanted to. But if someone likes it that is up to them. I think the hunting all depends on the size of the ranch. There was one for sale NW of me that had I think around 1200 acres and I have heard that one was good but it was very costly. I would have loved to get in there with a camera and take pictures.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I helped out on a cull a couple years ago at a ranch that a friend of mines boss owned. It was just shooting, not anything you could remotely call hunting. We would go out and shoot 5 bring them in and process them then go shoot 5 more. We did that all day for two days, by the end off it I didn't even want to see a deer.
One year, the farmer I worked for picked a ~125" for me, and let me chase it around one of his 40ac preserves. It took me about three weekends to get him, spot-and-stalk with my bow. I remember feeling no real excitement walking up on him. That, juxtaposed with the elation I got taking a 1.5 year-old six-point on my U.P. property on the 16th, is telling...

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Just turn on YouTube saw Keith Warren shooting giant bucks at legend ranch.What a joke.I would consider someone shooting a spike on state land more of a trophy than the monsters they shoot.Anyone else agree
That Warren guy is a joke and ranch hunting is a joke. Deer shooting for guys who don't have the skills to do it fair chase.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Not my cup of tea.

Maybe it would be cool if I had a few thousand acres and I had some different meats in the fence. Still wouldn't call it hunting, but would be a fun way of shopping. Probably wouldn't manage for trophies or mount the animals.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Heck yeah! If I'm hunting a fenced ranch, I want to shoot about a 1200 lb steer! Now that would be some fine eating!
I keep telling a guy at work that raises beef cows that he should let people "hunt" them. The Super G ranch used to do Bison or Beefalo hunts. Pay for your animal walk into the pen and shoot

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Heck yeah! If I'm hunting a fenced ranch, I want to shoot about a 1200 lb steer! Now that would be some fine eating!
There's a couple ranches by our cabin up north - mostly deer but one of them has elk and I've seen Scottish Highland cattle at the other.

Along with all the natural browse, there's food plots, and feeders filled with various grain. Neighbor works for one of the owners of the ranch and has gotten some cull does in the past. Another neighbor is good friends with the owner and brings his friends from the UP down to help with the doe culling - mighty fine eating.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
There's a couple ranches by our cabin up north - mostly deer but one of them has elk and I've seen Scottish Highland cattle at the other.

Along with all the natural browse, there's food plots, and feeders filled with various grain. Neighbor works for one of the owners of the ranch and has gotten some cull does in the past. Another neighbor is good friends with the owner and brings his friends from the UP down to help with the doe culling - mighty fine eating.
I'd be in for culling a doe too, but most of us would normally call it a cow. Lol

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
People can do what they want in this country and a lot of people have died to give us that right. If they have the money and want the experience... well, this is America baby! Its definitely not my cup of tea but lets not further divide ourselves as hunters.
That being said, I can't stand Keith Warren! If he can't get someone to invite him in on a chip shot, from what I understand, he won't show up.

If I had that kind of money to spend on a hunt, I'm off to Alberta to hunt for a week with my boys!

·
Registered
787 Posts
The word "HUNT" should be removed from these ranches advertisements. There isn't anything remotely close to hunting going on inside those fences.
I considered going to a canned killing years ago for a "wild" pig. I thought I could get a better price per pound for pork than what Meijer's could offer. In the end, I never went because I found the flavor of a "WILD" pig didn't quite compare to the farm raised.

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
I used to work on a deer ranch in WI when I was in HS. I ran a dump truck for the ranch owner, picking up cull potatoes for the deer. I did a little "guiding," and so I interacted with several clients over a few years. I had some good and bad experiences, but my cumulative experience left me torn, for two reasons:

1. Some of these guys don't have the time to scout, plant food plots, build blinds, and hunt. But, they do have the money, and want to experience something that approaches hunting during the 3-5 days they can get away from their six-figure jobs. This doesn't describe all of them--I could tell you some stories--but most of them are good-hearted people who understand what they are doing is not real hunting, and they don't pretend it is.

2. They are allies in the battle against the true adversaries...the anti-hunters, who view us as equivalent.

I don't think it's hunting, but I don't begrudge a man or woman spending his or her money on a legal activity that brings him or her joy.
I agree 100%. I always say that it is not really "Hunting", but I have nothing against "Shopping with Projectiles"!
<----<<<

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
The whole concept of ranch or fenced hunting chafes me to my core. I get why it exists, but I don’t agree with it.

I met a guy a few years ago - a VP for a manufacturing company with local facilities. My cousin works there and is a senior director and it was at a family gathering got to meet the veep. We got to taking hunting and the veep pulled out his phone and started flashing pictures of a monster he shot on a ranch up near TC. Some big lodge where they ferried him from the lodge to a heated box blind. Baiting was assumed. Said he just waited an hour for a big one to show up and boom. Deal was done. Didn’t keep the meat. Just got a big shoulder mount done. None of it sounded very sporting or even remotely interesting. I guess whatever floats your boat but to me that’s not even close to what my idea of hunting is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 29 Posts