Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question about raising the roof on my Thompson 210 hard top.
Has anyone done this before?
We were thinking of just adding 1’ to the top of the aluminum window surround.
Just making a channel to hold some 1/4” plexiglass and lift it up a foot.
I believe the top is two pieces a top and bottom is that true?
Only reason for thinking of this is I’m 6’3” and the top is like 5’.
Any one done it?
Sound like a good idea?
Leave it cause I’m getting old and soon will walk hunched over? Lol!

I’ll willingly read any constructive input.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,902 Posts
When I had my Thompson I tried continually to raise the roof but I just got knots and bruises on my head!

Reactions: DecoySlayer

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
That would be a neat project. First off, I'd guess you are going to have to add at least 1ft to any/every wire that runs into the hard top. And re-creating the front and rear archs would be the toughest challenges. But very doable. If you are going to use plexiglas, it does not have much rigid type strength. So your frame work will have to do all the supporting. And you'd probably want some type of flexible seal that actually holds the plexiglass in the channel.
Just to start.
Might be easier to just add framework with metal/wood to the bottom of the top at the hull cap. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has to be at the top.
The seating and steering will pose to many issues.
I think it’s double.
Just being careful so I don’t get in over my head.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was talking raising the whole top at the bottom of the glass line mounting to gunnel.
Thanks for your input.
I did realize what You meant about lifting the the whole top glass and all. That would pose a sight problem in this boat it has a flip out windo in the front bottom. Moving that up a foot would put the window casing right in your way.
That was why I said has to be the top.
I don’t think the original design was great on this hard top.
I also think it’s doable. I was hoping someone had done it and could give me the lowdown on Don’t do this or that.
I actually know a few guys that worked at the Thompson factory at the time it was built.
It’s been so long ago they sent quite sure how the top was put together.
Because of not knowing how the top went together we discussed lifting the whole thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts