Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going ice fishing for Rainbow's for the first time. I am fishing a small lake 6.5 acres and 29 ft deep max. The lake is stocked yearly with bow's by the DNR. I need help on what to use for lures and bait. Should I jig or use a tip-up. If anyone could lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Kim

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I have a lake very similar to this in my area including size and depth
and the fact that the dnr plants it annually.
Waxworms and perch minnows on tear drops usually work for me.

Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
it may sound crazy but i have had some pretty good luck with a plain hook or a teardrop with a peice of corn on it. good luck

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Don't overlook spawn. It almost always works. The warmest water is on the bottom in winter and it is where the trout will be most active until the oxygen gets depleted and then the fish suspend more. Use a flasher and fish structure for best results.

·
Registered
510 Posts
1st, make sure that the lake is open to fish in the winter. A lot of the DNR stocked lakes are closed until the trout opener.

If it is open to fish I go with the double system.

1. A jigging rod with any and all of the above mentioned techniques. Change lures early and often for success. Make sure to start near the bottom and slowly work your way to the surface.

2. A tip up with MAXIMUM 8lb flourocarbon (I like to use 4lb). I tie a flashy spoon 18"-30" above the smallest treble hook I have in my box (usually a #14 of #16). I like to use 2" to 3" sucker minnows as bait. I think the trout see them as a possible predator towards eggs they lay. I seem to catch them on suckers better than shiners. If you can find Dace minnows those work AWESOME. Something about that flourescent stripe that runs down their side!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all your help. I am hoping to get up and try it next weekend. Will post results after I try it.

Thanks,
Kim

·
Registered
510 Posts
BTW, where are you going? I was looking for somewhere to fish, and trout are my FAVORITE. PM me if you want!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Stocked bow's like bite sized marshmellows too. Caught em on these for years.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
9mmruger1 said:
Stocked bow's like bite sized marshmellows too. Caught em on these for years.
I've never used them through the ice, but :shhh: anyway ,those don't work:whistle: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts