Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I have already made my choice between fixed blades and mechanical, and obviously I picked a Rage. This is not to start a debate of which is better, you all have your own opinions as do I. Its is to document a mishap I had today with a Rage practice tip. This mishap was ENTIRELY my fault and in no way had anything to do with the head its self.

I had my first practice session today with the Hypodermic practice heads. First off I shot the practice head, and a broad head at 20 yards to ensure that both flew the same. They do indeed as the practice head tipped the broad head equipped arrow and broke the nock. I also noted that the both arrows were 2 inches lower than my field tip point of impact.

I stepped back to 30 yards and launched the practice head equipped arrow and it hit 3 inches low at 30 yards. I repeated the 30 yard shot several time with consistent results, 3 inches low and slightly to the right. By slightly I didn't consider it enough to adjust sights especially seeing the cross wind I was shooting in.

I stepped back to 50 yards and let the arrow fly. I used Kentucky wind-age assuming the point of impact to be 5 inches lower than my field tips. This was indeed the case. Wind-age was for the most part unaffected. Pulling the arrow from the target I moved back to my 50 yard marker to shoot again. This time I had a brain fart and forgot to use Kentucky wind-age. I released the arrow to hear a horrible THWACK. The practice tip had stuck a piece of wood I was using to hold the target up.

This is where it gets interesting to me. The arrow struck the wood at an almost exact 45 degree angle.

As you can see, the entire tip was stuck in the wood. Taking the opportunity to check out the durability of the ferrule. Being unable to pull the tip out by hand, I took the drill to the wood and started to work it out.

Upon retrieval of the head and closer inspection, I found that it was TOTALLY UNDAMAGED. It wasn't bent, twisted or warped in anyway. Here are some pictures after the practice head was removed from the wood.

Note: I was impressed that the practice head was intact. I don't believe in all the tests that people use broadheads on barrels, wood or any other material. I believe in what a broadhead does to an ANIMAL during hunting conditions. I only posted this to show the durability of the ferrule. I know that if that were the actual broadhead that the blades would be junk, and I am ok with that.

I was curious as to how this tip would do in a quartering shot on a deer or bear. I believe it speaks for its self. I will be using these confidently on deer this year, and if they do as well as I hope, I will be using them on bear in Canada next fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good hunting

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've gone from muzzy to grim reaper to rage chisel tips. Shot three Deer with the chisels performed awesome. Figured I would give the hypodermic a shot the year. Blades seem sharper and I like the new shock collar. Only time will tell. That is the entrance hole from a chisel tip. Pass through Deer went 40 yards. Shot a monster buck in Ohio with chisels from 30 ft high. Entered high took out one lung liver and guts. Exit hole was 4 inches intestine hanging out. Tough fella ran 150 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice deer...will keep you all posted when I put a Hypodermic through one....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Seems odd that your practice tips fly low...mine have always shot darn close to true I guess I've never had enough tips to practice a group of then at the same time...has anyone else had a problem with there practice tips not flying tru?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a tuning issue with my bow...but for me it was easier to make a small adjustment to the sight.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I bought a pack on sunday. Hopefully one of us can connect and post the results.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking forward to some feed back as well. And some pictures.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any pictures of the entry or exit? How about a few details...how far did she run? How was the blood trail?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice...the picture didn't show IP the first time for me....

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
The first pic is the entrance, this is the only pic of the exit hole I have. She made it about 60 yards, I only checked out the blood trail at the end because I knew where she fell and there was ALOT of blood.

They are the deep six Hypo's, I'm shooting Easton Injections with a Prime Impact 28.5/70

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Sweet hard to tell from the first pics looked like it was possibly the rear quarter. I was just saying if you don't hit any ribs arrows fly threw a deer real easy. You didn't say much so I gave you a poke;)

Its all good, nice shot

1 - 20 of 52 Posts