Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2,397 Posts
My game cameras have shown me quite a few c00n that shy from conibears in boxes and buckets. Havahart are flimsy but they'll work for a half dozen **** if that's the only trap he has.
Yes the box or bucket I believe is what is typically shying them from the set

· Registered
2,397 Posts
So you believe they are predisposed to be leary of buckets and boxes?
Sorry, meant to state a bucket or box with bait placed within it. I think for a raccoon that has been trapped in a baited live trap and released, they catch on to anything resembling it

· Registered
6,492 Posts
If I had the same issue as the OP, I'd be using an "all of the above" approach. Live trap, DP, Conibear, loud music, fumigation, bright lights, disco ball, smoke bomb and the daisy red rider. Get the critters out ASAP and by any means necessary!

· Premium Member
757 Posts
If your soffits are closed in, you need to: (1) find the location there getting in, the entrance holes will have hair that has been pulled as they go in and out. That way you can verify that they're actually living in the barn or just going in an out through the open doors. Like Seldom said "they're not bears, they will move as temp rise.
(2) Use a cage trap if that is your only option. (3) If you can find their entrance hole and your only option is to remove material to get to them, wear a mask and gloves, koon are notorious for carrying round worms, and the eggs from the worms that is in their feces can be breathed in or transferred from hands to mouth. You do not want to shut them in with no outside acess. Unless you've seen a cottage, or camp that a Koon got into an couldn't get out, it will look like a tornado went thru the place. (4) If you catch them destroy them, you don't want to give the problem to someone else by being kind and release them.

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I got my doors in a week ago yesterday and I put out a cage trap baited with wet cat food and marshmallows and it has been out there since that night and as of last night it was still empty. I am temped to go look into the soffits to see if there is anything there but at this point I think I might be good. I did see a **** killed along side the road not far from home so I think they may still be somewhat active. Maybe I got lucky and they made their way out before the doors got installed.

Thanks for all the reply's.

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
UGH, I went out Tuesday night to close the trap up and give it back to its rightful owner and the bait was all gone and the trap was still open, it was baited and open Monday night. I knew the trap was not the best because it was rusty where the hook catches the door but I thought I set it light enough to go off when something tripped it but apparently not. I went out and bought a new live trap last night that I will set when I get home on Sunday. The saga continues.

· Premium Member
757 Posts
Ah, the frustration of a trapper LOL. Don't know what you were using for bait, but it may have been mice that cleaned you out. You ought to see what those little critters will do to a piece of beaver meat in 24 hours.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts