Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Raccoon question somewhat related to trapping

2198 50
I had a pole barn built and for a lot of reasons, some outside of my control, some within, I am finally getting my barn garage doors installed next week. The barn has been relatively wide open to the animals, and I think I have at least 2 raccoons that have taken up residence inside the soffits of the barn. I have seen them in there on a few occasions and have seen tracks in mud also. My issue is that I have not seen them or noticed any other evidence of them coming and going since we had the cold snap and the snow a couple weeks ago. So what are the chances that these raccoons have denned up in there and are going to be there until Spring? Or are they still likely awake and coming and going at night and I just dont see the evidence of it?

I am going to set up a live trap inside the barn once the doors are up, wondering if I should expect a quick catch or if I am wasting my time and energy and wait until spring.

Thanks in advance
Reactions: scrriverrat
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
You’re doing the right thing with the trap and understand raccoons aren’t bears, they move somewhat all winter depending on temp. Also remember, raccoon can and will squeeze through some pretty small opening.
Looking over my notes, I caught 2 raccoons 2/17/20 when it was 38° and sunny that day. They were caught in dogproofs if I remember right. Week prior was 28° and partly sunny but no activity.

So I'd guess if you got a few days of high 30's to low 40's and a little sun, they might decided to get up and move around. Hopefully you can catch 'em!
They will get up, set the traps and evict them.
Close the doors and leave them closed. They can only go so long without food.
Probably need water more
Use sardines for bait..
Reactions: RHRoss
Peanut butter and or jelly
Reactions: sureshot006
Leave bait out and put a trail camera over it to see what you’re working with. If raccoons you should be able to trap them. I prefer dog proofs. Cat food is a cheap and effective bait.
And how do you anchor those in cement?
Leave bait out and put a trail camera over it to see what you’re working with. If raccoons you should be able to trap them. I prefer dog proofs. Cat food is a cheap and effective bait.
You don’t. There’s no need to. DPs can catch racoons laying flat on the ground and tethered to a tree or heavy object.
And how do you anchor those in cement?
They are in his pole barn.
You don’t. There’s no need to. DPs can catch racoons laying flat on the ground and tethered to a tree or heavy object.
Make sure they can't roll the cage trap over. Prop things against the sides
I had a pole barn built and for a lot of reasons, some outside of my control, some within, I am finally getting my barn garage doors installed next week. The barn has been relatively wide open to the animals, and I think I have at least 2 raccoons that have taken up residence inside the soffits of the barn. I have seen them in there on a few occasions and have seen tracks in mud also. My issue is that I have not seen them or noticed any other evidence of them coming and going since we had the cold snap and the snow a couple weeks ago. So what are the chances that these raccoons have denned up in there and are going to be there until Spring? Or are they still likely awake and coming and going at night and I just dont see the evidence of it?

I am going to set up a live trap inside the barn once the doors are up, wondering if I should expect a quick catch or if I am wasting my time and energy and wait until spring.

Thanks in advance
Canned or dried cat food or dog food will also be good bait
Marshmallow's work great for catching koons in a live trap.
So whatever you tether it to gets destroyed.
IME, wrong trap for this scenario
Reactions: scrriverrat
Honey buns are good bait too
Unless it’s a couple cinder blocks
So whatever you tether it to gets destroyed.
IME, wrong trap for this scenario
Reactions: FullQuiver
1 - 20 of 51 Posts