Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for people willing to donate their raccoon carcasses from the following 8 counties: Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, and Ottawa. I'm in the biology department at Grand Valley State and am working on a research project to better understand the distribution of a raccoon parasite (raccoon roundworm). I can pick up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm looking for people willing to donate their raccoon carcasses from the following 8 counties: Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, and Ottawa. I'm in the biology department at Grand Valley State and am working on a research project to better understand the distribution of a raccoon parasite (raccoon roundworm). I can pick up.

I have one that I will be skinning tonight or tomorrow.
PM to set up a time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
/////333;)$''mhgsa>>>>>>>]]]]]]{{{{{{{||||{####:/:788899

Ln n. No,ckjfuk,cuk,............))))-----
.hbhhhhhhbbbbggvvvvbgbbb be. Be. Bhggf

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Noah,

I am going to assume that you are not suggesting that I called you either stupid or Libertarian. Rather, that you are alluding to other posts including your own for those terms being applied to you. (I tend not to call someone stupid unless I think that doing so will change his or her behavior in a constructive way, which is to say: very rarely)

As to the question "what is a Libertarian," I am going to treat it as an honest question. I would suggest that you would get many different answers depending on which "Libertarian" you ask.

In general though, Libertarians fiercely defend individual liberties. They also tend to strictly adhere to the original language and intent of the constitution. As a consequence:
- They insist that the federal government's powers be limited to those expressly provided for in the constitution
- They are proponents of free markets, and believe the fed has no role in market/economic corrections or interventions
- Some Libertarians believe that the US is currently too militaristic. This follows a philosophy that force should only be used to defend our nation, not to pave the way for markets, or relaxed supply of raw materials overseas.

Libertarians rankle many republicans (I will take a wild guess and suggest that Russ is one), partly because of a drain on potential republican votes lost to folks who think that the GOP does not do enough to limit the size and influence of the Fed.
Also, I get the impression that Republicans get called out in conservative media sources by Libertarians for being soft on threats to liberties and on government largesse.
It probably also irritates Republicans that some columnists they would align themselves with, also contribute to Libertarian publications/e-pubs.

To answer the second part of your question, I have no idea what, if anything makes you a Libertarian. As Russ implied, the Libertarians he comes in contact with point out what things the Republican party is doing wrong, without providing practical and specific alternatives as to how things should be done differently. As I said before, though, I did not get the impression that you are a Libertarian.
I could be wrong though, and you could be guilty of the subterfuge that Russ suggests.

Anyway, how about some specifics as to how Ashcroft has or is attacking the liberties of our citizens? It would be most useful to the discussion.

Regards,
Kevin
Ah, the infamous butt-post.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Wth is going on here?

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Good question, for a minute, I thought I had drank too much hard cider.

Joe J - I do not have any coons. But I do know a guy (not on here) that is pulling & skinning from his freezer now (Newaygo County). Will touch base with him tomorrow and see if he has coon left.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
how much you paying per carcass?

JK, good luck finding the worms, not sure if they are typically dormant or in egg form but I have only trapped one in barry county near Middleville January of 2012 that had what I think was a round worm.

Trapped him on his left front if I remember right, leg was not chewed at all, but the right front, the free leg was all tore up and chewed.

when I skinned it I found out why, small skinny worm about 3 or 4 inches long was just under the hide, poor coon was trying to chew it out.

how long is your study going on? I may have a couple when I visit family over x-mas, if it warms up I will have steel out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good question, for a minute, I thought I had drank too much hard cider.

Joe J - I do not have any coons. But I do know a guy (not on here) that is pulling & skinning from his freezer now (Newaygo County). Will touch base with him tomorrow and see if he has coon left.
Mister Ed, much appreciated, date of collection as close as possible would be valuable information for me as well.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts

OK, my curiosity has been piqued. I've read quite a bit about raccoon roundworm. Why are you researching this particular parasite? Is it on an increase?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, my curiosity has been piqued. I've read quite a bit about raccoon roundworm. Why are you researching this particular parasite? Is it on an increase?
It's 'classed' as an emerging infectious disease, even though it's parasite not a disease. Raccoon roundworm is common across much of the range of raccoons. Animals, including dogs and humans that come into contact with infectious eggs (that have been out of the raccoon for 2-3 weeks) and ingest them have a problem. The eggs hatch and burrow through the intestinal wall and move through the host's tissues, causing damage and a strong immune response (i.e., inflammation). The worms have a fondness for nerve tissue so a percentage of them end up in eyes or brain and cause problems like lethargy, rolling, circling, or death. About 25 kids have died from this, generally they have pica (i.e., putting things in their mouths like dirt).

So my goal is to see how common it is in our area and I'm looking for anything that correlates with infection status - age, habitat, diet based on stomach contents). I'm also trying to figure out what causes a severe drop in RRW among raccoons that happens every winter. Infections peak in the fall and drop to zero in the winter and there is no good explanation for what drives this. The more coons I can get the better handle I'll have on the dynamics of this system in our area.

Cheers, Joe Jacquot

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Interesting. Like I said I've read about it a bit. I can't remember what show I was watching (probably Monsters Inside Me, one of my favorites, :lol:) and they were talking about a case where a child contracted RRW. I'm not sure, but I believe the child died. Anyway... having kids and camping in places that raccoons frequent, the show kinda got me thinking and doing a lot of reading. RRW is some pretty scary stuff!! Have you checked with the CDC to see how common RRW infections are in Michigan? If so, I'd be very interested.
If you were wanting carcasses from Ogemaw county, I'd send you every one of em I get. I'm not a trapper, but I take em out when they get near my chickens. I'm also friends with a trapper that does A LOT of trapping in Ogemaw co. and I'm pretty sure that if he knew what you were doing with them, he'd gladly supply you.
Anyway... Please, share any info you have about RRW. I'm particularly interested in how common it is in Mi. and what counties it's been found in.
Good luck, anything I can do to help let me know, and thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. Like I said I've read about it a bit. I can't remember what show I was watching (probably Monsters Inside Me, one of my favorites, :lol:) and they were talking about a case where a child contracted RRW. I'm not sure, but I believe the child died. Anyway... having kids and camping in places that raccoons frequent, the show kinda got me thinking and doing a lot of reading. RRW is some pretty scary stuff!! Have you checked with the CDC to see how common RRW infections are in Michigan? If so, I'd be very interested.
If you were wanting carcasses from Ogemaw county, I'd send you every one of em I get. I'm not a trapper, but I take em out when they get near my chickens. I'm also friends with a trapper that does A LOT of trapping in Ogemaw co. and I'm pretty sure that if he knew what you were doing with them, he'd gladly supply you.
Anyway... Please, share any info you have about RRW. I'm particularly interested in how common it is in Mi. and what counties it's been found in.
Good luck, anything I can do to help let me know, and thank you!

The literature from which the CDC would make there call would suggest 60-80% of raccoons have raccoon roundworm in the Midwest but that estimate is a bit high. The study in question was carried out in an agricultural area in the fall, both of which tend to give you higher infection rates. Last year we had a 60% infection rate in Ottawa and Kent Counties from about 35 carcasses but that literally dropped to zero in January.

On the risk to humans, I don't want to cause a panic, humans and raccoons have been in close proximity for some time and we're not dropping like flies. The only thing I've changed about my behavior in the woods is I wash my hands when I get home.

An interesting twist to this story is that in about 20 cases dogs have been found to be competent hosts (i.e., the RRWs inhabit their small intestines and shed eggs). If this roundworm successfully host jumped to dogs then we'd have a problem. When a dog walker left a pile in your yard it would literally be a landmine since the eggs are viable for years. The good news on that front is that heartworm meds for dogs kill these roundworms.

I wouldn't mind getting samples from outside my eight county study area in the future but for this field season I want to stay closer to home.

Cheers, Joe Jacquot

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Mister Ed, much appreciated, date of collection as close as possible would be valuable information for me as well.
Joe - I heard back from my friend today, unfortunately he skinned his coons before putting them in the freezer.

I'm sorry I could not help out! My daughter is helping on a research project dealing with the neurons in some other type of worm (she is at Hope) ... so I understand what you are going through,

Just for future reference, probably the best time to fill your carcass quote would have been the first two weeks of Nov.

Good luck with your project and thanks for posting the info above ... good read.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
:yikes: Holy cripe, you aren't kidding! The jump to dogs would be pretty bad! I haven't become super neurotic about "germs" in the woods or anything, I just watch the kids a little more carefully with what they put in their mouths and make sure they wash their hands. I prefer to keep them as worm free as possible :lol:.

Well, if and when you want and raccoon bodies from Ogemaw, let me know. I'm sure there will be some available. :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very interesting... I have a buddy that does a lot of coon hound competitions. I'm not sure how many they harvest but I'll get with him and see if he's got any coming up. I also have a number of students that trap near Carson City. So they would be getting coon from Gratiot, Montcalm and Ionia Counties. I'll check with them and see if they have any carcasses from your target area. I know the cold really slowed some things down for them so I can't promise anything. Would be a great teaching tool if my students contributed to this type of research. I'm sure they would find it much more interesting if they knew they were helping out in some way.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 17 of 17 Posts