Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did not get out deer hunting this weekend, but I did go rabbit hunting for a few hours Saturday.
What a fantastic day, my kind of weather, it snowed a little and then some sun. And good company.
I didn't get any rabbits, though my group did. But more importantly, we saw tons of deer tracks and HUGE scrapes, and basically no tree blinds! I know where I will be spending at least part of December archery season!
I will be hunting deer this coming weekend in Oscoda County but it was sure nice to get a chance to scout local alternatives.

Happy hunting all.
-Amos

·
Administrator
35,630 Posts
You mean you're not going to tell us where that was in Oakland Co Amos? I assume it was private land.

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,
I know you hunt Oakland Co. too, and are always scouting for good spots around here. Without giving away the farm, it is public land that straddles Northwest corner of Oakland County. It is not in a Rec area but fairly nearby the large one in that area. Big rubs, big hoofprints. It isn't the most obvious spot so I hope whoever (if anyone) has hunted it in the past has filled their tags or moved on. ;) I will report out what I see. Happy hunting.
-Amos

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went rabit hunting today and I took a nice walk while I was at it. I spent about 45 minutes out on our 10 acre property before having any sort of chance of seeing a rabit. I went and jumped a brush pile and was about to give up on it when sure enough out of the corner of my eye I finaly saw one, I aimed my 12 gauge and shot down he went. he wasn't a large rabit but he was medium size. that was the first rabit I have taken in a long time.

-TJ-

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brother-in-law went back out this weekend and this time took my Dad. This was a real treat because my dad belongs to a hunt club, and has not lately gotten out with us. It was great we saw about 5 rabbit. My Dad bagged a bunny but more importantly, we had a great time together and saw lots of signs if deer.
I am convinced rabbit hunting is really a fun and productive way to scout for deer hunting locations.
We do not go the same place all the time, so I get to see lots of pretty country, and my Dad and Bro-in-law are great company.
-Amos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts