Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris (Clattin) invited us out for a rabbit hunt near his house in Oxford.

Man what a great day 50 degrees and Sunny.
We had a great hunt and got to put some hours on our second litter of pups this year.

Lucy#2, Jake, Hooter (the dam), Lucy (the original) LOL, and the Man.
These pups were 6 months old last week.

Thanks again Chris.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Cool pic Rob. Definately sounds like a great day.

BTW, I find it kind of funny that you have a dam named Hooter.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good job on the rabbits Rob.

I can't wait to see how Lucy grows into herself, she's pretty impressive now as a pup. I liked her. Don't forget about me if you make that cross again!!

·
Registered
26,590 Posts
Looks like a good day. I couldn't stay out long as I had a funeral to go to, bu the dogs sircled one back to me.
Any one notice that the runs are getting a little longer? Jumped 2-3 in one spot also yesterday. Leads me to believe that the rabbits may be starting to breed now.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Megan if we make that cross again I'll definatly let you know.
Yeap she is fun to watch, she definatly doesn't run 2 place very well. LOL

That Dam is owned by my buddy Jim Orman. He named her Double D hooter.:lol: If you knew my buddy Jim you wouldn't be surpirsed.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
We hunted up three rabbits on Saturday. All separate spots. I only managed to connect on one of them. What an absolutely gorgeous day to run the dogs. It was 52 F and partly sunny. I really need to learn to shoot better.

And my puppy needs to learn some manners. She'll back his point but not his retrieve.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
BarryPatch said:

:lol: That picture reminds me of when we rabbit hunted with MuskyDan.

Dan shot the 1st rabbit of the day (the 1st rabbit he's ever shot over our dogs) and I hear him calling the dogs... "Bring 'em here boy, bring 'em here..." I looked at Matt and we both started laughing... We had our Jack dog then and if you don't grab the rabbit before he does, you're going to have a heck of a time getting it from him, and when you do, it's usually half gutted... We got there and Jack had his prize and was proceeding to run away with it. :rant:

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
yup, and I was burried in the brush pile trying to get it from him, he stayed in there til I got stuck and then boogied, smart dog!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Robert W. McCoy Jr said:
LOL Not used to seeing dog that big get after a rabbit.
Yep, the truly versatile Vizsla. Bogie managed to bump this one out at a recent hunt:

There was a pack of beagles running some bunnies out behind my house yesterday afternoon when I got home. I sat on the deck and listened to the music for about 1/2 hour. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Rob,

I should be the one telling you "thank you"!! Thanks again for letting me tag along and watch your dogs run. VERY impressive!

I'll bet Mike won't sell that over/under for all the money in the world now, huh?

Chris

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Vizsla Hunt Dog said:
Yep, the truly versatile Vizsla. Bogie managed to bump this one out at a recent hunt:

That's a pretty big bunny. All the ones I shoot at my place seem smallish.

I did get the rabbit in one piece. It wasn't pretty, but they were fighting over who got to bring it to me, rather than trying to run off with it. When I called the pup off and Vino gave me the rabbit it was not only in-tact but not quite dead yet.:yikes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts