Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To My Friends,

I wanted to let all of you, especially those that frequent the Law Forum that I will be quitting/retiring from being a moderator on this site. I am not posting this for sympathy reasons or to try to get people to beg me to stay (which is why I’m closing this thread as soon as I post it as my last thing as a moderator). I am posting to give you the courtesy that many of you have given me and so that everyone knows it is not because of one little particular thing that happened.

Sometimes a person must realize when their time is over. I had thought about this for a few weeks now, probably subconsciously even longer, like about 2 years. Some (emphasis added) of the reasons are that I don't keep up with changing laws and even more importantly have forgotten some of the laws that haven't changed simply because it is not my main purpose anymore. I hope that whoever takes over this forum takes it seriously and doesn’t let opinion run wild so a bunch of bad info is the only thing that comes out of it or it turns into a forum like any some other forums on the site (crossbow for example). Members have realized over the years that the Law Forum was where they could get the right answers; at least I think they did.

Maybe that is part of my own personal problem; I take too many of these things seriously. I never was one to want to joke around when attempting to get a job done that was the best for the natural resources. Throughout my career and now I believe my opinions are what was best for the natural resources and not what was best for me or any other individual. There is a time to joke and there is a time not too. These are not all the reasons for my decision but it is some of them.

I remember when I first came to this site; I believe there were less than 1000 members at that time, about eight years ago. Some of those members, I knew who they where and I believe a lot of respect between us occurred. A lot of that respect came because we did know who each other were even though some of us didn’t agree on some issues but it did seem more of discussions than arguing and personal attacks. I thought is was a great site then and it still is but....for me there is way too much arguing (not talking about opposing opinions) and way too much that doesn't even have anything to do with hunting and fishing. I have also come to the opinion that I really dislike people that post under the disguise of anonymity. Either make it know who you are when you want to state your opinion or the opinion really doesn't mean much, yep, and that is my opinion.

I loved being a CO and I knew I needed to retire just as I have enjoyed helping out on the site but my time is over. Heck, I’ve been a moderator almost 1/3 of the total time I was a CO. Time goes to fast. Steve has done a great job getting this site to where it is and the popularity that it currently has and I hope it lives on to be a main site for the hunters and fishers of Michigan.

I do wish everyone, well almost everyone :) well. Take this not as quitting but maybe more as retiring from being a moderator. I'm sure I will still visit the site and post, maybe even get a strike :) but it will be just like the rest of the majority of the membership of course I will not be anonymous. I'm also equally as sure I might be a pain in the butt about reporting incorrect information in the Law Forum but I'll just be being me.

Good hunting and fishing to all of you, take care of the natural resources. Talk with you during our discussions.

Ray

Reactions: slowpaya

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Even though he closed the thread.......I am posting because I can!!!!! ;)

Ray- thanks for all your years of service with the DNR, and for all the help you have provided us here at MS!

Reactions: slowpaya
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.