Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fried told me that QDM went before the NRC last night and asked for a 2 week quiet period(no buck shooting)before gun season. Is this true? If so why?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can't imagine that happening,The peak of the rut is during that time.Even if it were true it would never go through.Now I would like to see them stop the late season doe hunt.How much time does a guy really need to shoot a doe?Besides,I don't like to have my beagle in the woods during this time and its one of the best times for bunnyies,for the yotes get em.

·
666 Posts
Trek, I'm sure no proposal and/or endorsement was made by the Quality Deer Management Association. It may be a case of someone just mentioning the qdm word. If you find out more, please post and/or email me. In the meantime, I'll check around.

Boyd

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Of course, you're talking about two weeks subsequent to the end of the current early archery season, right? I've always thought 11/29 would be a good time for the firearms opener.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boyd, my sources say it was Ed Sp......a. that asked for the quiet season(Nov 1 -14). Farmlegend, I like your sense of humor.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think the quiet period would only be a lost opportunity for hunters. Having a quiet period to protect bucks during the rut would be one thing but it would only help if the DNR moves the gun season back to December 1st or say the Monday after Thanksgiving. I don't think having a quiet period would improve the quality of the hunt during gun season like a lot of gun hunters think it would. By 9:00 am we would be back to the same old story anyway. I don't know of any other states in the Midwest that have a quiet period as part of their QDM program.

Tim

------------------

·
666 Posts
Thanks Trek, I talked to Ed and he assured me that he didn't propose a quiet period. There was a question and answer exchange in which a hypothetical remark by him may have have been taken out of context. Unfortunately, I was unable to make the NRC meeting, but can assure you that QDMA has no such proposal nor do we plan on making one. It does show that we QDMA need to be careful, so as not to confuse the situation. With the buck issue, we've always supported restraint in harvesting young bucks. And antler restrictions have been the most common way to accomplish this, although a minimum antler spread is probably a much more effective program for accomplishing better balanced buck/doe ratios and an improved age distribution.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the prompt and factfull response. I was confident that the QDMA wouldn't propose such a thing but I had to make sure.

A supporter,
Trek

1 - 9 of 9 Posts