Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put together a video of a quick clean of a baitcasting reel. Lot of people are intimidated to take one apart and clean the bearings. It's actually quite easy to do a quick clean and get it performing good again. Hope this helps someone out.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Nice video, but I would like to point something out. In the absence of an ultrasonic cleaner, you really should remove one or both of the bearing shields or else a lot of crud gets left behind. It's also a good idea to check the performance of the bearings once cleaned. Put them on the tip of a pencil and give them a quick puff of air to ensure they spin freely. If not, repeat the cleaning process and check again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice! I would also like to say I do a full service on them about every 4 years. Take the drag washers out, ect. You can even replace the drag washers with dry washers such as ones made by smoothie. I did that in my Chronarch's and Curados. Lot of salt water fisherman do this.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
I usually do mine once per year, full tear down. Look into using TSI 321 instead of the Rocket Fuel. Rocket Fuel is good stuff but it does wear away very quick. It's more popular with competition casters due to its very low viscosity. TSI 321 bonds to the metal and creates a super slick barrier that repels water, salt, and dirt. It's also good stuff to use on worm gears. I tune and modify reels as a side gig, feel free to pick my brain :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually do mine once per year, full tear down. Look into using TSI 321 instead of the Rocket Fuel. Rocket Fuel is good stuff but it does wear away very quick. It's more popular with competition casters due to its very low viscosity. TSI 321 bonds to the metal and creates a super slick barrier that repels water, salt, and dirt. It's also good stuff to use on worm gears. I tune and modify reels as a side gig, feel free to pick my brain :)
I will look into that one. That sounds like a great tip on the lubricant. Appreciate it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts