Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a small bass boat and everything runs off one battery. Do you guys have to charge the battery every outing or does it just charge off the main motor? I'm assuming I won't have to charge it every time but I just want to confirm that.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I guess it depends on how you use the boat. Do you have an electric trolling motor and a fish finder, GPS, graph, etc. ? If you do and use the trolling motor a lot without the main motor running you will run the battery down. Also if you're using electronics without the motor running you're using battery power. If that's the case, just plug it into a charger when you get home and you'll be good to go next time you want to fish.

John

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John,

I will be using a fish finder but don't have one yet. I'm also getting a new battery for the boat just to be sure that I have enough power.

Mark

·
Registered
901 Posts
With just a Fish finder you'll be just fine with just the motor charging the batt.
Buy a deep cell batt. if your worried about it.

On my boat I run a GPS (chart plotter) and a fish finder and the motor charges the battery.
The trolling moter batteries are seperate and I do charge them every time out.

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
Mark, if your motor is electric start then you will want 2 battery's, use the a marine starting batt for starting and all your electronics and use a 2nd Deep cycle batt only for your troller.
On a long day 1 batt doing the entire job will leave you with no POWER
And Ya..............RECHARGE after EVERY outing, never forget, not even 1 time, it will hurt the batt's, Good luck!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Mark, if your motor is electric start then you will want 2 battery's, use the a marine starting batt for starting and all your electronics and use a 2nd Deep cycle batt only for your troller.
On a long day 1 batt doing the entire job will leave you with no POWER
And Ya..............RECHARGE after EVERY outing, never forget, not even 1 time, it will hurt the batt's, Good luck!
:yeahthat:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts