Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have not tried this yet am heading out friday evening to give it a try. Is this a daylight only thing and then switch over to whipping, handlining or can it be done at night. Do i have to use my bowmount or can I use my kicker.Now for the how to part, what weight bottom bouncers,blade size,how deep, real or imatation crawlers, what length leads on the harnesses, how fast down stream. Looked breifly for a thread on subject did not find one. I know this is alot of questions, probably will have more after the first time try. THANK YOU!! for any and all help. Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,631 Posts
Fish mongor use your bow mount to troll down stream at 1.8 to 2.7 on the gps with 3 or 4 oz bottom bouncers they both will work.. Harness lenght really does not matter I have run short and long harnesses and they both have caught fish, the key is getting use to running the bottom bouncer correctly because if you dont you wont catch as many fish..

Because you will have the bouncer laying in the mud or to far off the bottom and not in the strike zone, dont forget wind plays a big factor in your boat speed, north wind will speed you up and a south will slow you down so you have to adjust for the weather conditions..

sun up to sun down is the only time I bottom bounce, I havent had much luck during the night time hours.. Blade size for the harness I like 3's and 4's but some guys like bigger but thats what I like to run and for bait it's up to you live worms or Gulp they both work and they both have there pro's and con's you hhave to see what you like best..Cya Slick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,114 Posts
i always use my electric bow mount. i start out around 2.2/2.3 mph, that's usually a good speed for me but i do play with the speed up or down if i am not catching anything. sometimes they like them slower or faster.
i usually let my line out until i feel the BB hit bottom, then let out another 15 - 20'. this usually works well for me, just make sure you can feel the BB bouncing on the bottom. too much line out and you will be dragging the bottom and like Slick says you won't be in the zone.
i run the standard 36" lead on my harnesses.
i generally always use crawlers but pumkinseed berkley gulp turtlebacks produce very well too.
Brian


fish monger said:
Hi have not tried this yet am heading out friday evening to give it a try. Is this a daylight only thing and then switch over to whipping, handlining or can it be done at night. Do i have to use my bowmount or can I use my kicker.Now for the how to part, what weight bottom bouncers,blade size,how deep, real or imatation crawlers, what length leads on the harnesses, how fast down stream. Looked breifly for a thread on subject did not find one. I know this is alot of questions, probably will have more after the first time try. THANK YOU!! for any and all help. Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
6:00 - 9:00PM has been very productive for me, but things seem to shut down at dark. Also, don't be afraid to zig zag a little left or right when trolling. This speeds up one side of the boat and slows down the other side and can often produce a hit. I've been doing good letting out just under 2x the depth of water. If your speed is too fast you'll lose the bottom, too slow and you'll be able to tell you're dragging. One more thing, use only 1/2 a crawler or snip off 1/2" or so off the artificial worm. Friday is calling for a South wind so you'll probably be using the trolling motor the whole time. Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,631 Posts
Hey guys I have got a new little trick that I have know about forever, used it for salmon and muskie and just never done it walleye fishing well that about to be added to the arsenal and I will let you know how it goes.. Cya Slick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,114 Posts
Good job Brian. Never tried the 1/2 crawler. What's the reasoning, to many bites on the long tail of the crawler and missing the fish?

Brian

newtothervr said:
6:00 - 9:00PM has been very productive for me, but things seem to shut down at dark. Also, don't be afraid to zig zag a little left or right when trolling. This speeds up one side of the boat and slows down the other side and can often produce a hit. I've been doing good letting out just under 2x the depth of water. If your speed is too fast you'll lose the bottom, too slow and you'll be able to tell you're dragging. One more thing, use only 1/2 a crawler or snip off 1/2" or so off the artificial worm. Friday is calling for a South wind so you'll probably be using the trolling motor the whole time. Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,631 Posts
radiohead said:
Good job Brian. Never tried the 1/2 crawler. What's the reasoning, to many bites on the long tail of the crawler and missing the fish?

Brian

Radiohead it helps avoid short strikes so you always get a hook up and we like hook up's:lol: Cya Slick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,114 Posts
good info thanks.

some of the crawlers i've been getting this year probably already qualify as 1/2 crawlers.


newtothervr said:
That's the way I understand it also, better hook ups, and it's all I've ever used. Plus it gives you 24 crawlers for the price of 12!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top