Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the reports idicate that maybe this cwd positive deer may have contracted it from a free ranging whitetail. Is it commonplace for captive deer and wild deer to interact this way around all deer farms? I wouldn't think so but no one is saying that this deer farmer did anything wrong. If this kind of thing is acceptable I can not understand how are deer heard was ever "safe" to begin with. Are deer farms required to stop this from happening before they are released from quarantine? Are all the ranches now putting up extra fences and taking other precautions to make sure their deer are not infected by all the possible cwd infected deer that may be roaming around in the wild? Any clarification on this subject would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Which reports are you talking about? I have not heard any reports indicating that a wild deer was involved, can you provide links? In fact, the head of the CWD task force, Dr. Schmitt indicated that through the fence contact was an unlikely method of transmission.

Very few captive cervid facilities have double fences. According to the 2005 audit 94% had fences that would allow through the fence contact. I don't know how many have changed that since 05 but I doubt very many.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not referring to a report saying there was a wild deer with cwd. I was refering to the reports that said they couldn't link it to any other captive deer at the idex site or any other so there was the small possibility that it came from a wild deer. No proof just a wild guess on their part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have another question. Does anyone know, or heard, if there are going to be any restrictions on transporting harvested deer between the safe upper peninsula and the contaminated lower peninsula?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts