Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this rule needs to be strictly enforced in the future if we want to end the constant bickering? And by strict I mean no warnings, no strikes and no more Mr. Nice Guy. I think that the only way to end this kind of behavior is to start making examples out of the people that feel it's ok, or entertaining, to do this.

If the precedent is set and questioning a catch or hunt results in an immediate ban then we might be able to end this kind of unwanted behavior. I know there is a sticky in the fishing forum, but I think it's time for this to be added to the official message board rules.

That kind of posting does nothing to promote unity and sportsman brotherhood and it should be dealt with in the harshest manner in order to eliminate it. We need to be working together for the good of our outdoor interests, not letting the yahoos tear us apart for their own personal enjoyment.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142773

·
Super Moderator
37,515 Posts
Hence the "report this post" feature.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
I betcha over half the members of this site don't even know what that little red triangle is in the upper right corner of each post......

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I post far less in the Hunting forums than I use too because of the constant questioning/fighting over dumb issues. I still read them quite often and will get involved if the thread is interesting and remains tame, but I just don't have the inclination to have my status of a "real/true sportsmen" questioned because I have different feelings than another member on a particular issue.

I have never turned anyone in for what they've said to/about me, but I have used the function when a member is doing something that could hurt the site.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I post far less in the Hunting forums than I use too because of the constant questioning/fighting over dumb issues. I still read them quite often and will get involved if the thread is interesting and remains tame, but I just don't have the inclination to have my status of a "real/true sportsmen" questioned because I have different feelings than another member on a particular issue.

I have never turned anyone in for what they've said to/about me, but I have used the function when a member is doing something that could hurt the site.
I know you're not alone and this is unfortunate. I say post 'em up and if some have problems with it, oh well. I for one enjoy the photos and stories.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Well you will never make everyone happy but I find that if you only "lurk" around and dont post in more than one thread people will attack you for that too. Seems like lots of people feel better if they single out people rather than speak in general terms about how they feel about a certain topic.
My rule of thumb is to hold my ground on my views but not attack a person for their opinion. I post on most of the forums that I participate in including fishing , hunting and sound off. I have passions in all of these areas, I do hesitate in the hunting and fishing sections because people are looking for ways to "police" you there, your loss on my success of both. In sound off your opinion is what the whole "sound off" area is about. As long as you can take other peoples opinion and I sure hope it's different than mine you can share your thoughts here too. I learn a tremendous amount here in sound off from quite a few of the members. We have some very smart people here that share the information well. You can always hit the ignore button if your ever offended by someone that much.
Too bad this bickering thing is causing many so much greif in other areas of the web site.
I bet if the ecconomy was better we all would have a lighter approach to things. One post even suggested to shut the site down for a few days as a solution, but I dont see how that could help, but clearly some are bother more than others.

Hey ice is on the way, get ready to fish!

DJ

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I totally agree with the original poster. The picking on someone's game taken is the reason I don't post pics or info on anything I am fortunate enough to get. Not worth the possible nit picking or questioning.

·
Registered
48 Posts

:yeahthat: I dont post much cause of the bickering too.

And no, i didnt know what that red triangle was either.

Still cant figure out why i cant post a picture.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Still cant figure out why i cant post a picture.
You need to have a minimum number of posts and at this minute you are up to 16. You might need to hit 25 and then the msg board software lets you post a link which includes links to photos.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
On the other side of the coin people need to be careful of the photos that they do post on here as well. We all know that people take their coats off to gut a deer well there goes the orage with it those posts are a little ridiculous when questioned but its common sense on both sides of the coin IMHO

Ganzer

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Perhaps we could use the Festivus tradition as an example and set aside "special time," at every MnG or outting for an airing of the grievances--Thunderdome style. "Two men enter, one man leaves..." Then, I'm sure a lot of the bickering in question might end since it forces the distinct seperation between MEN and those who are classified as "male" just because they have testicles...big difference.

My personal rule is that I never post anything that I wouldn't say directly to someone's face. If I don't like you here, chances are I won't like you in person...and I won't pretend otherwise in the "real" world, so to speak. ;):lol:

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Perhaps we could use the Festivus tradition as an example and set aside "special time," at every MnG or outting for an airing of the grievances--Thunderdome style. "Two men enter, one man leaves..." Then, I'm sure a lot of the bickering in question might end since it forces the distinct seperation between MEN and those who are classified as "male" just because they have testicles...big difference.
Let's just build a cage and settle these arguments UFC style.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

My personal rule is that I never post anything that I wouldn't say directly to someone's face. If I don't like you here, chances are I won't like you in person...and I won't pretend otherwise in the "real" world, so to speak. ;):lol:

My money's on Milt kicking your ass. :lol:

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
My money's on Milt kicking your ass. :lol:

Well yeah...you know how many new parts they've put in that guy? New hip, new knee, new fist, new eyes, new peni...er...I mean, the guy's practically a freakin' titanium bionic cyborg. I still have all my natural born people parts that are wearing down...not a fair match up.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Well yeah...you know how many new parts they've put in that guy? New hip, new knee, new fist, new eyes, new peni...er...I mean, the guy's practically a freakin' titanium bionic cyborg. I still have all my natural born people parts that are wearing down...not a fair match up.
:lol:! That was funny, that's why your tolerated around here Steve:evil:......

As far as how the site is "nowadays", there's just too many people anymore. I don't hunt and am mainly a steelheader, so my ass is mainly on the Stream Forums and in the Coldwater Section. So, MO on this is focused on the fishing forums:

I love to stream fish for steelhead, that's my passion. If I am not fishing, then I'm reading/talking about it. That's just my world, well and my Wife:eek::D;). So when I come on sites, like MS, it's to read someones day on the river, to talk about baits, techniques, factors on the bite, just the usual stuff. I also like putting up reports, and pics are nice as well, to get some conver going. I've learned you can edit out backgrounds, which yeah, doesn't make the pic as "scenic", but it still gives a visual without giving a freebie to people who just come on here to peep pics. You can post a useful report without giving super specific info, which helps curb free handouts for the spoonfeeders. I think alot of the Members who actually do post on here, are here just to talk/BS/trade info/share what they like to do. Just because someone posts doesn't make them a
bragger, no clue, loser, person who can't fish ect.....it's all OPINIONS, which EVERYONE has the RIGHT to. And lets not forget, alot of newbies/people are trying to make a name for themselves and get respect. EVERYONE went through that at some point, I don't care who you are. Yes, a report everyday or every other day is alittle overboard and excessive, but once a week is not a big deal.

There are just way too many people who get lots of fish, that think they are at a level above alot of other people, and are waaaaay too cool to help them or share an outing. What alot of numbers freaks don't think about is, hmmm...maybe your river gets ALOT more fish stocked then another guys river; a 10-15 fish day might just be alright for your area, whereas it could be a banner day on a river that gets 5,000 fish planted. People just seem to think that high numbers are what constitutes a good steelheader, IMO, consistency is what makes a good steelheader.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts