Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this in here because it could relate to just shooting in general, I also posted it in the turkey hunting section.

I am hoping this spring to get my brother out a few times turkey hunting. I got him the same permit as I have. I have a dilemma however. He has a 20 gauge 870 which he shoots regularly (clays, rabbit hunting etc.) but he does not have a turkey choke yet for it. I am debating whether or not to find him one and then try and get it patterned, or just to have him use my 12 gauge.

He's somewhat skinny but quite tall. He's shot 20 gauge deer slugs before, and said he didn't notice the kick (shooting at his first deer, which he ended up missing because field barrels don't shoot slugs so well I guess...lol).

Will the adrenaline cause him to not worry about the kick? He used to always be intimidated by a 12 gauge even just shooting target loads. However, he said he never felt the kick to the slug he shot out of his 20 gauge. I assumed it was just the heat of the moment. Do you think this will also be the case in the turkey woods?

Any input would be great....thx!

~AJ

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
get him 1 oz - 1 1/4 oz, 20 gauge, #4 shot (i would error on the side of 1 oz). don't use cheap shells - get a quality game load with high antimony content. $3/box shells are worthless for patterns.

use any choke that's in the gun, and he can kill turkeys to 30 yards. fine tune the choke, and he'll probably get 40 yards. do not assume that an "extra full" turkey choke will shoot the tightest pattern. he may get excellent results with an improved cylinder or modified, and in fact, i would pattern first with modified - you may stop right there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll bet he won't notice it at all (12 ga.) when that Tom comes struttin' in.
It's amazing what adrenaline can do :D
-Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts