Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you guys will say don’t ever use that stuff!! WD40 is what I have used on all my guns for as long as I can remember and still do. I have used it even on my factory camo guns and never had a problem. However I was laying in bed last night reading the owners manual on the A5 and it says to watch what type of lubricant you use as not to hurt the finish. What’s everyone else using? I am curious because I think this gun is so awesome I don’t want to hurt the finish. Or am I just being part sister boy? And they covering their company? I know my friend has a Mossy 930 and the deep woods off that was on his hand left finger prints in the forearm.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I use 3 in 1 oil, each gun case also has a Shammy oil coated for it's own.

Reactions: roger15055

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Browning had an issue with the old Duratouch finish breaking down and getting very sticky. They first blamed it on owners using wd40 or other products on the guns and wouldn't warranty it. A class action lawsuit finally got them to admit to the problem. I just got my Browning Silver back this week from being completely refinished by them, no charge. According to the guy I talked to they are redoing thousands of guns that had the issue.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Brownells did a report after extensive testing as to the best product to use for fire arm rust prevention.Those tests concluded that WD-40 and Boeshield were the very best to prevent rust.All others fell short including their own brand .As for removing the finish on your new " Fowling Piece"i would not know,but i have used it on a Winchester 1200 with a Laquered finish duraluminum reciever and it suffered no ill effects....

Reactions: roger15055

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
For preventing rust use Rust Inhibiting Grease=RIG. You will never get rust, rusty fingerprints. Oils seem to run down(gravity). When you see that nice gun w/ a big black area in the stock, adjacent to reciever, that is all that oil from a few drops each cleaning that ran down into the stock for 20 yrs.
For lubricating something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Browning had an issue with the old Duratouch finish breaking down and getting very sticky. They first blamed it on owners using wd40 or other products on the guns and wouldn't warranty it. A class action lawsuit finally got them to admit to the problem. I just got my Browning Silver back this week from being completely refinished by them, no charge. According to the guy I talked to they are redoing thousands of guns that had the issue.
yep ! I have not sent my SX3 in yet, but its also covered. Guy i talked to said they cant send the stocks for you to do it on your own because its spelled out in the lawsuit that they had to do it unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I use Boeshield T-9 on all of my firearms. According to my old gunsmith, it's the best there is. He claimed that in a test, the only rust prevention that beat it was a firearm completely covered in petroleum jelly! :ROFLMAO: Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that's what I've used ever since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts