Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I went to a bunch of gun shops this last weekend with a friend. Upon looking at their used rifles, I noticed a certain rifle that had the scope mounted forward on the barrel. I really liked the way it felt and how the scope focused in farther up the gun. Found out it was a Ruger. Can anyone tell me something more about this rifle? Never owned a Ruger before. Are they a quality product? Are they accurate? I was thinking about getting it in a .308 or .300 WSM. Do you need a special scope for it since it is mounted farther up the gun? If so, what brand and power? Are there any negatives to this system? It is basically going to be designated a deer and elk rifle. It just felt so good to hold and I really liked the how the scope focused in farther ahead. There has to be a negative. If no one tells me a compelling reason why not to get one, I am going to buy it. Christmas present to me from Santa. :evil: I didnt buy the used one because I would rather buy a new one. Maybe love at first hold??

Please respond if you have any experience with this type of rifle.

RS,
JAS

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Personally, I like the Ruger action, I'm not familiar with the Frontier Rifle but I'm sure it's designed to compete with the new Scout rifles produced by Steyr and a few others.

IMHO, the Ruger action is second to none, the downfall is the trigger is tricky to adjust but that may have been corrected by now since user level trigger adjustment is becoming the norm.

If you are rifle shopping check out the new Tikka T3.

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
Yes, it is a scout riflle design, with a front ramp/scope mount, similar to the Ruger #1's. You can mount a scout scope up front, or a tradtional scope over tha action, your choice, the gun is built to do it either way. The guns weighs about 6.5#'s and has a 16.5" barrel. Yes, you need a special scope one with IER or Intermediate Eye Relief. Burris and Leupold both make fixed 2.5x scopes just for this type of rifle. You won't find high powered scopes for this application. It is meant to be used for quick shooting with both eyes open....and it works. Many guys use this same type of system on their big bore lever guns. As far as calibers, I wouldn't bother with the .300 wsm, the short barrel will make the muzzleblast brutal, and short barrels just don't get the velocity with those magnums. The .308 or 7mm-08 are about perfect. Velocity is still down, but in these calibers, they will still carry the magical 1000 ft lbs out to the 300 yard mark, plenty for deer. For Elk, I'd keep shots much closer, but in reality, this gun is designed for quick shots in tight cover at potentially moving animals, it's not for sniping big game far off. Ruger also makes this rifle in what they call the Compact....same barrel, same size stock, but no mount for a forward mounting scope, and a bit less money. I want one as well, great for still hunting.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
good post swamp.

i've seen those in the new ruger catalog. nice.

not to change directions, but could anyone tell me if that forward mount scope with extended eye relief can be mounted on a winchester M94? i'd love to scope my lever action 30-30, but am a little leery about putting a side mount on it. a simple 2x, forward mount scope would be perfect. the smith at gander mountain said no, but for other reasons, i'm less than confident with their service staff.

any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
Yes, you can RZ, AO makes a mount that mounts on your barrel and has a weaver style base. They make them for both the 94 and the Marlins....popular set up with the Guide Guns....I believe a couple members here have the exact set up. With quick release rings, you can use your front ramp site with a rear peep so you have the option. A slick set up. I'll psot a link.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i have a remingtion scout rifle in 308 built on a 600 action love it to death!

had one in 45/70 too using the ashley mount with an aimpoint! it is awesome

i use the burris on on my 308 we used to use pistol scopes on them when they first came out

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
I have a 600 in .308.....love that little rifle and the dog leg bolt!! I have seen a number of them customized in the scout fashion.....they make a great platform for such a project. Mine is factory and it wears a Burris 1.5-6 Signature on it....works great for hunting in tight cover.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,448 Posts
Swamp Monster said:
Yes, you can RZ, AO makes a mount that mounts on your barrel and has a weaver style base. They make them for both the 94 and the Marlins....popular set up with the Guide Guns....I believe a couple members here have the exact set up. With quick release rings, you can use your front ramp site with a rear peep so you have the option. A slick set up. I'll psot a link.
SwampMonster - Help me out with this, please. I love my Win 94 and currently have a "rear mount" scope side mounted on it to accomodate the angle eject, but I'm toying with the idea of a Lyman/Marble rear peep site also. With this setup you describe, would you be able to use the peep and front mounted scope simultaneously or would you remove the scope if you wanted to use the peep? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
You would have to remove the scope to use the peep. Here's the good news, with quick release rings, in many cases, you can remove and replace the scope and still be on, with no need to sight the gun in again. This is assuming you are using good quality mounts, and ofcourse you would want to test this at the range,
I'm thinking of doing it with a guide gun, so I can use the peep while I am still hunting during the day, yet use the scope in the mornings and evenings while on stand.
In the reloading forum, check out the thread on levergun likes and dislikes. Jmoser has a pic of a beautiful example of a Marlin Guide gun with the Scout scope set up and peep sight on the receiver. He would be a good person to ask if the quick release set up works for him. Personaly, I want to duplicate what he's done, big loop lever and all...one sweet set up!
Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.