Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a camp in the west end of the Yoop. Looking to try a different hunting location. There's an area near me that has been logged over the last year. I believe it started in late spring and is done now. I've heard that cutovers are good areas but I'm not sure how long it takes for them to be good (I'm assuming you need a year or two for new growth to start).

Anyway, as a flatlander I haven't got much experience with cuts. Is this place worth a look?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you can see all the way across it, best not to waste your time sitting on it because as a general rule of thumb, big woods deer don't like to walk in the open. You'd be better off to hunt the edges: look for travel routes, and if theres a small creek or such nearby, thats an added bonus.

As it starts to grow the deer will use it more for food & cover. Optimum age is between 10 and 20 years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tony,

Cutoffs are great deer magnets. All of my 20 years of hunting have been centered around cutoffs of varying age. That is the main key. At this early stage in the cutover, it will depend on the type of terrain surrounding it (ie. swamps, oak ridges, valleys ect.). If there is good habitat left around it, it should produce some deer sightings. The next 5 or so years after this one could be reall exciting. Im assuming there are no agricultural fields around so this will become a primary food source after any acorns are gone. They will also use it as a bedding area when it gets thick enough. I remember when the first started clear cutting in Alcona Co. where I hunt. I didnt think to much of it at first, but my eyes were soon opened. I started to think that the only place deer lived was in the cutoffs.

How big is this cutover? What is the deer population like in the area? Are there many cedar swamps around for the deer to use in the winter? If the deer population is fairly low and they have good yarding area for the winter over browsing shouldnt be a problem. As the cutover matures, walk the perimeter of it to see where the deer use it the most. Take note of any terrain features that will help funnel deer movement. If it is not a heavily hunted area, there is great potential. I have seen some real big bucks in and around cutoffs.

Good luck this season. You have a real potential hotspot. Only time will tell.:)

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
I hunt the eastern end of the UP. I feel the cut overs have to be 3-5 years old before they start to get much activity. They usually don't cut the ravines so we are blessed with lots of funnels and travel corridors.

Do a little scouting on terraserver before you go back.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I agree with luv2hunteup. I think it takes 3+ years to really start seeing any consistant activity in the cuts. However, if they left a lot of tops in the area, you can still see some great activity that first year.

nymph

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
They clear cut a couple of spots in the Western where I hunt 4-5 years ago, This year when I went up there is just starting to thicken up. And the thre trees are now about 8-12 ft tall, but when the leave fall it still looks a liitle open.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Tony,

If there are lot's of tops on the ground from the cutting that was done this year that's extra food for the deer. When that's all gone after this winter you can expect 3-5 years before it becomes a real deer attractor again.

We have two areas near our camp that are were cut. One 3 years ago and one 5 years ago. Both are very thick now and hold lot's of deer. We look for travel routs into and out of these areas and set up there.

my 2 cents.

Garret

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe all cut overs are productive but they change as the years go by. Early after a cutting it is used as a browse and feeding area and then as it thickens up it becomes a bedding area. This is similiar to aspen cuttings for grouse. There are several stages of use by the grouse depending on the age of the cut and I believe the same to be true for deer.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
In fact if they JUST stopped logging and you want to try something when you are real bored bring a chainsaw with you.
LOL Sound stupid??? Infact my best friend has logged for many years and if I have the chance to hunt where he is working (especially bow) I do. I have seen more bucks while out with him working than you would ever imagine. They are not afraid of loggers or their equipment.
Just my experiances

1 - 10 of 10 Posts