Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was waliking my new puppy in the woods and saw another dog approaching it looked like a white GSP but it was huge. The dog was really friendly and I talked the owner and I asked what he was she said a GSP I said he is huge. She said he weighed 91# and stood 31" and that she had talked to breeders and they have been breeding what they call "White Giants"
I was just wondering if you had heard of this or not. The dog was massive looked almost like a Great Dane

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I know of 1 or 2 dogs in that weight range . As far as someone breeding them for that specific trait I am unaware of anyone breeding just for that .With the amount of GSP breeders out there I don't doubt it. This thread has the makings of the past Silver Lab threads. IBL.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Never heard of them.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Never heard of them

but I do know a GSP they we in NSTRA michigan region call TINY

his real name is Chance owned by A guy Named Roger

any way TINY last I knew was 120 pounds

scott

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
There is a reason AKC has breed standards, and that dog was W A Y past just over the line.
Somehow I want to use the word responsible, and improvement of the breed when you do breed dogs.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
what is the world coming to? I've heard enough bragging about "big labs" to make me sick. To hear it about my favorite breed? Painful.

Anybody know a good line of pointing chihuahuas?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
bombcast said:
Anybody know a good line of pointing chihuahuas?
That would actually be sort of cool. You know, taking a wothless breed and developing it into one that could do something. Usually it's the other way around.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My female turned out to be the largest of her litter. She is 25.5" at the shoulder and 75 lbs. Way over the standard and in my opinion that would disqualify her from breeding. (Note: I don't breed and she is spayed so the point is moot)

Last fall we ran into a predominantly white male that was easily 15-20 pounds heavier and 2"+ taller. Sounds similar to the dog the original dog posted. That said I've never seen anyone promoting larger GSPs as a selling point.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
BarryPatch said:
That would actually be sort of cool. You know, taking a wothless breed and developing it into one that could do something. Usually it's the other way around.
Great idea!!!

My neighbor has a chihuahua maybe you can give it a shot!!!!!

In fact please take the miserable little creature away....I never met a dog I din't like until I met that little yippy rat!!!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
opeongo said:
Maybe the breeder's goal is to hunt their dogs in standing corn fields.
They can ride the dog to the point, dismount, then shoot. Eliminates the added burden of a horse. Hmmm, maybe I am on to something. Horses have a pretty keen sense of smell. Think they can be taught to point? We could combine that with their ability to count (saw one do it in a circus) and when they encountered doubles or a covey they could count out the approximate number (fewer surprises that way). Gotta be some horse people with thoughts on this.

However, I am inclined to believe the owner of that dog is, in computer terms, an I D 10 t.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
BarryPatch said:
Already been done. It is called a pointing lab? :dizzy: :dizzy: Oh did I just say that? sorry.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
After watching the GSP win the best-in-show at the Westminster a couple of years ago I remember thinking that:
  1. The general (non-hunting) public is going to take notice of the breed and everyone will want one.
  2. The "pet" breeders are going step-in fulfill the demand by producing a bunch of brainless GSP's with little hunting ability in an effort to achieve a certain physical look--not that this has ever happened with other hunting breeds!.
Hopefully, I was wrong and this is just an anomaly:yikes:.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to clarify, the owner said that she was going to take him back to the breeder to see if he was an anomaly. I just couldn't believe the size of the thing I thought is was an oops dog GSP x Great Dane. Not trying to start another silver lab like rant post just was wondering.......:yikes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stories like this is why I went with a Deutsch Kurzhaar or GSP from Germany. They have higher standards than alot of AKC GSP. AKC GSP can be great hunting dogs with no issues but I didn't want the chance of getting a problem dog. DKV GSP have pedigrees from AKC and DKV.
North American Deutsch Kurzhaar Club (NADKC)
http://www.nadkc.org/

In May of 1993, eighteen dedicated enthusiasts from all areas of the United States and Canada welcomed Herr Claus Kiefer, then President of the Deutsch Kurzhaar Verband (DKV) in Germany, to Michigan to meet and form the North American Deutsch Kurzhaar Club (NADKC). Affiliated with the DKV and the JGHV, the NADKC, whose purpose is to promote and improve the Deutsch Kurzhaar (German Shorthair) in accordance with the principles originated by the DKV, provides cooperative, trainable Deutsch Kurzhaars for the foot-hunter, developed through breeding programs as set forth by the DKV. In order to qualify for the privilege to be bred, dogs must be evaluated in temperament, conformation and be successful in hunting tests.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Well, some of the best hunting lines of dogs are not close to the AKC breed standard for dogs, let's NEVER use the AKC breed standard as the absolute must again!!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
omega58 said:
Well, some of the best hunting lines of dogs are not close to the AKC breed standard for dogs, let's NEVER use the AKC breed standard as the absolute must again!!
The breed standard should be the ABSOLUTE for REGISTERED DOGS. If we dont follow the breed standards, we arent preserving or bettering the breed. IF you breed and register dogs, follow the standards.
The folks buying a pup deserve and expect pups that in all probability be within breed standards.
There are LOTS of Sires and Dams that are within Standards.
Work to change the Standards if you have a reason to think taller dogs are better.

SIZE or CONFORMATION have nothing to do with hunting abilities. BUT a registered dog is supposed to be within standards.

Those of us who want a COMPLETE dog, of conformation and hunting abilities want the source of REGISTERED dogs to be within breed standards.

I have a ton of respect for the German Breed Club, some funny ideas (like training for the fur) but no club or organization takes bettering the breed any more serious than they do.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.