Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, congrats on retiring!

Situation is, while on Houghton Lake last weekend we were "checked" by one of the army of CO's. I was just sitting on a chair in the open, but several of our group were in portable shantys. The first stop the CO made was one of the shantys and he pulled his sled up next to it, got off, "knocked" on the canvas door, said "hello?", and proceeded to unzip it. (I was sitting 20' from the shanty so I could hear/see what was going on.)

The CO was a good guy, checked us all out, we BS'd for a while, and he was on his way towards the zoo that is TUT.

Is is legit for a CO to just open up a shanty? I would have thought it would be one of those deals where the person needs to invite you or open it themselves.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I hope that they can at least look............never know when a faulty heater might get you. Happened a few years ago on a lake I fish. Buddy went after some bait, came back to an unconsieus (sp? ) fishing partner. Fumes can knock you out/kill that quick.

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
I''l stick around to see but I believe he can. The way I read the laws, you have no expecatation of privacy. So don't get frisky in the shanty :lol:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I could really care less if they look. I just wondered how the rules worked on something like that. The fact that it is on a lake probably makes it fair game.

I never thought about the safety thing, thats a good point.

·
Premium Member
12,377 Posts
I would think it safe to assume the shanty is set up for fishing. Although it might be a warming shelter or even have a potty set up in it.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Yep, legal.

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
:woohoo1: I win :)

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope they're ready for the next time I have the old Clam Jr. out and I'm just sittin' there in my shorts. C'MON IN PULL UP A BUCKET!:cool:

Thanks for the answer.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Hehehe, I wonder if Boer ever came up on a shanty that"was a rockin" so to speak!:yikes:
Sometimes us older sportsmen can't fit into the back seat of a car anymore!:lol:

Not asking for detail, just wondering if you ever got"suprised" in that way?:D

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Nope, can't say that I have, at least in a ice shanty. Boats, cars and just out in the woods....well that's another story. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts