Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 things I've been wondering.

1.) Is the term "Cop" insulting or considered rude, etc.. I would think not(since there is the show and all..), but I have heard from some people that it is. Obvistly it would not be appropriate when addressing an officer, but what about in regular conversation.

2.) Do most officers(or just answer for yourself) find it offensive or humerous the way police officers are stereotypically portreyed in alot of comedy movies or in that new police comedy on Comedy Central? I am a computer guy, and SNL does a great skit about "... the company computer guy", and although it is kinda making fun of me, I laugh every time I watch it, but for some reason when I was watching the new show on comedy central, which is pretty dumb, but I laughed a few times, I couldnt imagine cops viewing it that same way...:confused:

Just curious...

·
Super Moderator
11,728 Posts
Howdy, JA-

Not an officer, but just thought I'd let you know the origin for the term 'cop.'

Of course, it's short for 'copper'. This came from the large 8-pointed copper badge that the first large, organized metropolitan police force in the country used as part of their uniform.

They were, of course, located in NYC.....

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
I have heard competing etymologies on that one Les. Here is one that only partially supports yours:
Cop
Several popular etymologies, all certainly false, exist for this word meaning policeman. One says that it is an acronym standing for Constable On Patrol. Another says that the first policemen in London (or another city--it varies in the telling) had copper buttons on their uniforms. Yet another says that it was not buttons, but a copper badge that gave them the name.

While the ultimate origin is disputed, most authorities agree that it is a shortening of copper. Cop was first used in 1859 and copper predates it from 1846. Copper, as slang for policeman, derives from the verb to cop, which dates from 1704 and means to catch. The OED2 notes that an 1864 newspaper stated that people would exhibit a copper coin as they passed a policeman, in effect calling them copper. This may have been the beginning of the confusion with the metal copper.

The ultimate origin of the verb copper is disputed. It either derives from the Dutch kapen, meaning to take. This in turn comes from the Old Frisian capia, meaning to buy. The other choice is that it derives from the French caper, to take, and ultimately from the Latin capere.

See also: Pig.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm a cop, and I've been called alot worse! Actually, I call myself a cop.

And I LOVE RENO 911!! It is my new favorite show.

Captain Jay

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Funny thing,

A number of years ago I had the priviledge of attending the NA.

In attendance were LEO's from all over the U.S. and a couple from abroad. Needless to say it was quite a diversified group.

I had a roomate who hailed from Alabama, getting acquainted while unpacking the usual came up. Where ya from, any kids etc.
When I asked him how long he'd been a Cop, the "Ole Boy" damnear went ballistic.
In a very abrupt manner he advised me (with viens popping out of his forehead) "Listen Son" where I come from it's either Officer, or Sir! We don't go for that COP business!"

You'd have thought I called his mamma a Ho!

So I said to him, Hey sorry.

I didn't know the term Cop was offensive down south, up where I'm from it's used all the time.

But I see your point, because where I'm from, Our fathers KNOW who their sons are, and we them...

But I'll tell ya what, I won't call you a Cop, if you don't call me SON!

Yeah Reno's kinda funny,,,, I love watching it with a dozen or so Krispy Kremes....:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Pig....5-0....Po Po........

Call me what you want
Call me what you will
You can't call me pregnant
Cause I'm on the pill............

UUhhhhh...never mind...That saying was much funnier when my girlfriend from college used to say it all the time.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ha

Captain Jay

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Several years ago, I was walking down the sidewalk in bay city from my car two blocks to where I had to go. This cop comes out of a market-like store with a clear plastic bag with all sorts of fruit in it - bananas, apples, oranges, etc. I walk and just treat him like any other guy, but then he turns and starts walking the same way as me. After about 40 seconds of walking right next to him, I couldn't help it. I turned to him and said "I thought you guys only ate donuts!" :D He really got a kick out of it and said something about just the 'other' cops who had diets like that.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in trafic court a few years ago and a case before me a kid got popped for throwing garbage out the window I think, and the judge asked about where the officer was relative to the kids vehicle. The cop answered "I was waiting to turn left out of the doughnut shop". Everyone, including the cop and the judge chuckled. I think if it were me, I would have skipped court that day ;)

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Cop is fine and to be one you have to have to have a sense of humor.

·
Registered
316 Posts
cop,smokey,bear...its all good to me....just dont call me late for supper. Hey Jay same here I love that Reno 911.My kids told me about it .....sometimes its too much like "real cops".:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts