Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted a response under a different thread about a question in regards to this gun. I have been looking for a varmint rifle to also double as a deer rifle for my kids when they get older. Had seen a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow(Blued) 243 WSSM with a cheapie Simmons scope(didn't pay much attention to the scope) for $399. Seemed like a fairly good buy, but would like input from any gun gurus, also curious about the short mags as compared to a traditional 243. As always thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
It's plenty of cartridge for deer....a couple hundred fps faster than the .243 Winchester. Here's the kicker(s) though....ammo is not readily availabe, it's on the shelves, but not that many choices to choose from and don't expect anybody other than Winchester to start making ammo anytime soon. If the WSSM take off, I'm sure other manufactueres wil ltake notice, but there's a good chance it won't either. The WSSM are shorter than the WSM and are offered in .223, .243, and .25. I want a Browning Stainless Synthetic A-bolt in .25WSSM...make a nice lightweight rifle...about a pound lighter than a comparable .25-06.
If you don't reload, I probably wouldn't suggest this caliber as it might not be around all that long. And in some varmint shooting, you can go thru a lot of shells and until you reload, or go with a cheaper caliber to shoot like .223, it could get pretty expensive.
The price of the gun isn't bad, but there are a handful of $400 guns on the market in many calibers so finding one in .243 winchester would probably be a better bet. Heck, you can get the Ruger 77 for close to $400 a lot of times and they chamber both the .243 and the 6mm Remington if you wanted something a little unique (not to mention the .257 Roberts) But Remington, Winchester, Savage and others all offer $400 or less guns in the standard .243.

But, overall, the .243 WSSM is a fine dual purpose cartridge and would work just fine, just be forewarned that this cartrdige will probably never be mainstream, or offered in a large variety of factory ammo. To some thats very important, but not to others, so thats up to you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks swamp, I wondered about that in regards to cost and availability, and not being a reloader myself, I think I will lean towards a 243 instead of the short mags, also my current deer rifle is a Ruger 270 bolt, so I may check them out in 243.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts