Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that squirrel hunting season is open from Sept 15 - Mar 1.

A few quick questions:
  • Can I hunt with my 17 HMR at any point in that window?
  • Can I shoot squirrels with it during bow season for deer?
  • Is there a "resting period" sometime in early November (I think I heard Nov 10-14), during which I can't shoot?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
285 Posts
To answer your questions;
1) yes you can use a .17 hmr. That's what my buddy uses. I prefer a .22, but that's just me.
2) yes you can shoot squirrels during bow season. You might piss off the bow hunters, but if you're on state land, they can't say anything. But if they were there first, move on.
3) the rest period you're referring to is that the dnr doesn't want to see certain kinds of ammo in the possible attempt to take deer before the gun season. As long as you use plain .17 hmr ammo, you should be fine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Alright I've been hunting my entire life but I always get messed up on this... can I hunt squirrel with a rifle during gun season in the rifle zone... or only with a shotgun?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer your questions;
1) yes you can use a .17 hmr. That's what my buddy uses. I prefer a .22, but that's just me.
2) yes you can shoot squirrels during bow season. You might piss off the bow hunters, but if you're on state land, they can't say anything. But if they were there first, move on.
3) the rest period you're referring to is that the dnr doesn't want to see certain kinds of ammo in the possible attempt to take deer before the gun season. As long as you use plain .17 hmr ammo, you should be fine.
Thanks a lot, General Ottsc! I'm new to hunting, and kept stalling out on deer, so I'm getting started with squirrel. So far, I've loved hanging out in the woods listening for the buggers. Going to try to get in some hours between now and the start of deer rifle season. Then, thinking I'll take a week off, and get back into the woods in the second week.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Alright I've been hunting my entire life but I always get messed up on this... can I hunt squirrel with a rifle during gun season in the rifle zone... or only with a shotgun?
You can hunt with a rim fire rifle during the gun season. It's just from Nov. 10 - Nov. 14, the DNR is worried people are going to try to take deer with rim fire rifles. From this year's hunting guide:

November 10-14
It is unlawful to carry afield or transport any rifle (including rimfire) or shotgun if you
have buckshot, slug, ball loads, or cut shells. Exception: You may transport a firearm
to your deer camp or to a target range during this period if the firearm is properly
transported (see pg. 19). A resident who holds a fur harvester license may carry a
.22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearm while hunting furbearers or checking a trap line
during the open season for hunting or trapping furbearing animals. You also may
target shoot on your own property provided there is no attempt to take game.

How I interpret this is, if you have regular rim fire ammo and no other ammo on your person, you can take small game. If the DNR wanted to stop small game hunting during those 4 days, then they should list it on the season section that all other species are closed except for those species that can be trapped.
To be sure though, I'd ask a conservation officer or the DNR for their interpretation. I've always used that time to prep for the firearm deer season.
The small game season goes for a long time though, so I don't see why you'd want to go out during the firearm deer season. Use that time to go for deer. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks a lot, General Ottsc! I'm new to hunting, and kept stalling out on deer, so I'm getting started with squirrel. So far, I've loved hanging out in the woods listening for the buggers. Going to try to get in some hours between now and the start of deer rifle season. Then, thinking I'll take a week off, and get back into the woods in the second week.
No problem! As the season progresses, squirrels will get harder to hunt because they don't have a lot of cover. So you'll really have to look at the tree limbs because they can lay flat on there and almost blend in. Sometimes you get lucky and see them digging for their winter food supply.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can hunt with a rim fire rifle during the gun season. It's just from Nov. 10 - Nov. 14, the DNR is worried people are going to try to take deer with rim fire rifles. From this year's hunting guide:

November 10-14
It is unlawful to carry afield or transport any rifle (including rimfire) or shotgun if you
have buckshot, slug, ball loads, or cut shells. Exception: You may transport a firearm
to your deer camp or to a target range during this period if the firearm is properly
transported (see pg. 19). A resident who holds a fur harvester license may carry a
.22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearm while hunting furbearers or checking a trap line

How I interpret this is, if you have regular rim fire ammo and no other ammo on your person, you can take small game. If the DNR wanted to stop small game hunting during those 4 days, then they should list it on the season section that all other species are closed except for those species that can be trapped.
To be sure though, I'd ask a conservation officer or the DNR for their interpretation. I've always used that time to prep for the firearm deer season.
The small game season goes for a long time though, so I don't see why you'd want to go out during the firearm deer season. Use that time to go for deer. :D
Thank you for the reply. Good luck this week

·
Banned
5,934 Posts

November 10-14

The season is still open Nov 10 to 14. But you can't use a rimfire to take then squirrels.

You can use a shotgun with shotshell, archery equipement or even a sling shot.
Small bore airguns in .22 or .17? I am not sure. But 22 or 17 rimfire, I am pretty sure are not legal to take squirrels during those 5 days.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The season is still open Nov 10 to 14. But you can't use a rimfire to take then squirrels.

You can use a shotgun with shotshell, archery equipement or even a sling shot.
Small bore airguns in .22 or .17? I am not sure. But 22 or 17 rimfire, I am pretty sure are not legal to take squirrels during those 5 days.
Uh. You'd think the DNR would be more worried about someone using a shotgun. A .22 cal air rifle can definitely take out a squirrel, but I wonder what the DNR's take is on it.
Like I said above, I use that time to prep for the firearm deer season, so I don't have to worry about it. But with the season being so long, there's lots of time to get a few squirrels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts