Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:
I just recently bought a 1300 20 ga youth model Winchester with a smooth bore barrel from Walmart ($100). Then I decided to buy a turkey and rifle choke for it from Carlson's choke tube company. However, there still is the bead sight on the front. My goal is to make it a deer/turkey/small game gun for my wife. From what I hear from Carlson's, you can get a 3 inch group at 75 yards with the rifle choke and shooting Winchester Supremes. But I believe I will need to improve the sights over the plain bead to ensure that performance. Any suggestions?? And will it need a gunsmith to install? Thank you for reading.

JAS

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I might look into gettin a b-square for it that way you could have a scope on it for deer and turkey and then just take it off if you decide to chase rabbits or pheasants.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Did that 1300 come with a vent-rib barrel?

If so, look at the TruGlo fiber optic sights that clamp on to the rib. I installed a set on my 870 for turkey hunting and they made a vast improvement in accuracy with slugs as well. Theres a pic in my gallery of a three shot group at 50 yards using a smooth bore barrel with a I/C choke.

About $40 and no gunsmith needed. Even comes with the wrenches to install/remove.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rupestris said:
Did that 1300 come with a vent-rib barrel?

If so, look at the TruGlo fiber optic sights that clamp on to the rib. I installed a set on my 870 for turkey hunting and they made a vast improvement in accuracy with slugs as well. Theres a pic in my gallery of a three shot group at 50 yards using a smooth bore barrel with a I/C choke.

About $40 and no gunsmith needed. Even comes with the wrenches to install/remove.
Yes they did come with a vent barrel. This seems like a winner if it works. Do you remenber the model type for these particular sights? Thank you.

JAS

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I use the TruGlo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot.

All steel construction with windage and elevation adjustments.
http://www.truglo.com/content/prod_long_gun_sights/pro_series_magnum.asp

Part # for the 1300 should be TG944B

I did break the fiber on the front sight while deer hunting last year but the front post can be used without it. Its just not as good in low light.
I called TruGlo when I got home and they sent out replacement fiber free of charge. Outstanding service.

HTH,
Chris

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rup,

How funny! I just bought this exact site from Cabelas on line about 15 minutes ago. Your guidance brought me to it. Thanks again!

JAS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts