Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at switching to the Rage 3 blade expandable broad heads. My question is: When you buy a pack of rage broad heads you also get a free practice head. I am wondering if with that practice tip can you shoot a target and Then pull the arrow and head straight back out?? Or do you have to push the arrow through??? With it being a rear opening broad head I dont know how to go about using it. Any answers would be great cause I have not bought them yet and would like to shoot them soon if I can.

Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I shoot the two blade and with either the real thing or the practice head yes, you can pull them back out. This is in a foam broadhead only target...would assume that would also be the case with a layered target.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I am looking at switching to the Rage 3 blade expandable broad heads. My question is: When you buy a pack of rage broad heads you also get a free practice head. I am wondering if with that practice tip can you shoot a target and Then pull the arrow and head straight back out?? Or do you have to push the arrow through??? With it being a rear opening broad head I dont know how to go about using it. Any answers would be great cause I have not bought them yet and would like to shoot them soon if I can.

Thanks
Chris

yes you can, as long as it a BH target.

·
Team Yukon
4,912 Posts
The practice heads don't open at all...Pull them right out (leaves a bigger hole in your target)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The practice head is a fixed head that mimics the flight of the real thing w/o the blades actaully opening. I would pull them straight out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
do yourself a favor and go with the 2 blade instead of the 3 blade.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do yourself a favor and go with the 2 blade instead of the 3 blade.

I was told to use the 3 blades cause with only two blades you could shoot over or under an artery and the 2 blades by chance could stay parallel and miss the artery. But with the 3 blades, you have blades on 3 sides instead of just on two sides so you have a better chance of cutting more. Thats just what I was told??

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I was told to use the 3 blades cause with only two blades you could shoot over or under an artery and the 2 blades by chance could stay parallel and miss the artery. But with the 3 blades, you have blades on 3 sides instead of just on two sides so you have a better chance of cutting more. Thats just what I was told??
I beleive that could happen but i think it is very unlikely. All 3 deer that i have shot with the two blades hit almost perfectly vertical, hopefull my luck carries through this season.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts

Hit the vitals and it will not matter if the blade is vertical or horizontal. Slice lungs or heart at any angle and the result is the same.

Either will work, and you have to use what will give you the most confidence. I prefer the 2 blade design as I think it's a bit more efficient yet it has a larger 2 inch vs. 1.5 inch cutting diameter. Put in the boiler room, both will yield the same result, a short track and a long drag!

·
Registered
817 Posts
chriscarlzimmer,

Using the 2 blade over the 3 blade has a slight advantage, if you look at the shoulder of the blade that causes it to open up , the 2 blade has a more pronounced top "shoulder" edge compared to the 3 blade. Also the 3 blade has a bit of a twisting motion upon expanding where as the 2 blade does not. The company that make Rage had a recall when they first came out due to the 3 blade having a more rounder "shoulder" causing it not to open up . They addressed this issue and re-tooled to make it more efficient.

Don't get me wrong both are tops in expandables in my opinion, i just see the two blade a more infallible option of the two.

2 blade with it's 2" cutting diameter is lethal as is all broadheads when hitting the intended target.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts