Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im a bird dog newbie, just picked up what appears to be a real ace of a GSP and I have a question or two for you...

What are ideal conditions for hunting with bird dogs? I have owned beagles most of my life and know what suits them the best but I am unsure of bird dogs...does it differ depending on area hunted? Does it also differ depending on bird hunted??

I will primarily hunt grouse and woodcock with him, but pheasant isnt out of the question since I know some areas that hold them.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Welcome to the site! Ideal conditions....lots of birds. :lol:

Going out in less-than-ideal conditions are still better than not going at all....and when I think that I may/or may not see birds, I may be proven wrong.

Have fun!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill clarify my question, I see after reading it again how its not too clear...I meant weather conditions...I know with beagles that moisture, barometric pressure and the like play a part in so called ideal conditions...what would be considered ideal scent conditions for a bird dog, assuming that the dog is a good hunting dog....

Tony

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
A little moisture in the air always helps say if it rained the day before something like that, always liked a little air exchange(wind) when I hunt too.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Light sw or w wind, high humidity, moisture on the ground, preferable a bit overcast. If it is pheasants, a real heavy frost or say 3/4" of light snow overnight that melts off makes for primo conditions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it...I hope our local forecasters are wrong about this weekend, but I am gonna get this dog out regardless of snowfall amounts....good hunting to you all.

Tony

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What are ideal conditions for hunting with bird dogs?
"Ideal conditions" - short of hunting in an Alberta clipper - are whenever you can get out with your bird dog and bird gun - and be thankful for it.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
"Ideal conditions" - short of hunting in an Alberta clipper - are whenever you can get out with your bird dog and bird gun - and be thankful for it.

Hoppe's no.10
Agreed!

Regarding scenting, bone-dry is the worst.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts