Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to the site and have a question about shooting. I am wondering if when shooting downhill the aim should be lower or higher than if on level ground. From what I have read lower but want to make sure. I am hunting from a hill that is at least 30 degrees down hill, shooting 45 to 50 yards to my bait pile with a 12ga. At 50 yards on level ground I have it sighted in at bullseye with a scope.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Welcome to the site. No matter if I am shooting uphill or downhill, I aim as though one were shooting on level ground. At 50 yards for sure with a shotgun I can't see it making much difference.

As an example, recall your old geometry class and make yourself a triangle. A line going out 50 yards and another line at a 30 degree angle. How much difference is there then? Not much at all.

Again, welcome to the site and please allow me to be the first on this forum to wish you a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Welcome! This is a great site and you should pick up a lot of hunting tips. I agree with Backwoods, the angle doesn't matter. Gravity will have the same affect. What does matter is the distance between you and the target.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The answer is generally lower, but it's not that simple. It also depends on what range you're zeroed for. For example, a target that is 100 yds away up or down a 45 degree slope is only effectively 71 yds distant to the rifle. As mentioned above, what matters is the horizontal distance to the target. If your rifle shoots flat out to 100 or more yards, the difference in the bullet's trajectory between 71 and 100 yards doesn't matter. The difference is magnified as the slope gets steeper and the distances involved get greater and as the rifle's trajectory gets less flat. You need to know what *your* rifle and load do at various distances, and you need to be good at estimating ranges and slopes if you're going to be taking long shots up or down hill.

At short ranges and shallow angles, the difference should be negligible with any shotgun or rifle.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Gravity effects all objects the same .everything falls at the same rate,9.6 feet per second per second.But shooting up or down gravitys effects are a bit differnt.uphill gravity must overcome the upward momentum of the object and if no other influences the object will travel straight.Down hill the object is already moving in a downward trajectory,therfore the trajectory will remain more stable.To illustrate this take a fishing pole with a weight on the end of the line and hold it horizontal,. there is a significant bend ,now hold at an angle of 45 up or down and you will see less of a bend. in short if at any significant distance you will hold low.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
eddiejohn4 said:
Gravity effects all objects the same .everything falls at the same rate,9.6 feet per second per second.But shooting up or down gravitys effects are a bit differnt.uphill gravity must overcome the upward momentum of the object and if no other influences the object will travel straight.Down hill the object is already moving in a downward trajectory,therfore the trajectory will remain more stable.To illustrate this take a fishing pole with a weight on the end of the line and hold it horizontal,. there is a significant bend ,now hold at an angle of 45 up or down and you will see less of a bend. in short if at any significant distance you will hold low.
9.8 meters per second per second or 9.8 meters/second2.

Anyway, it boils down to the fact that downward force placed on the bullet is strongest when shooting exactly horizontal. Least effect when shooting with an upward or downward angle. I like the fishing pole example! First time I saw that wasn in Jim Carmichels "Book of the Rifle".

Agreed that it's a non issue at 50 yards with a shotgun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
These are the type of threads that keep me coming back. I would also like to see somebody to start a thread explaining calibers and gun sizes. Maybe in the general hunting forum. Other guys have demonstrated how to fillet fish by picture and received a huge reponse,especially for newbies. Pass it on

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
IGGY said:
These are the type of threads that keep me coming back. I would also like to see somebody to start a thread explaining calibers and gun sizes. Maybe in the general hunting forum. Other guys have demonstrated how to fillet fish by picture and received a huge reponse,especially for newbies. Pass it on
Just about all of these things have been discussed before. You can spend hours searching for the old threads. I'm sure a search on "downhill" would bring up some old threads covering this. That being said, the only dumb question is still the one never asked so go ahead and start threads and someone will chime in.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Seems to me the answer is simple. Take a couple practice shots from your hunting blind at the hill you are talking about into a target and see if it is zeroed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts