Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting casually trapping beaver for a couple weeks this past winter. Only got one. Fleshed it out a couple weeks ago and boarded it. The dried flesh still isn't really "dry". I can see grease on my fingers if I touch it. Is this normal?

I also don't know if I fleshed too deep. The skin is almost translucent in the middle along the back. I can see hair through it in most places. Is the hide still good for tanning or ruined? I can try and post pictures later. I've never fleshed anything before so I'm not sure what's normal and what's not. Thanks for any help.

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are seeing is fat. It's not easy to overflesh beaver.
Did I not flesh out the hide enough then? I even went through in some spots, especially near the legs so I figured I was good. Is the hide no good anymore? If it is still good, do I need to do anything to it to degrease prior to sending it off to be tanned?

· Registered
27,346 Posts
It's okay.

· Registered
426 Posts
I got my first this year as well and some spots, mainly the edges weren't fleshed well enough and were greasy. Dabbing it with a towel a few times helped. As it dried and the fat I missed in the middle showed up easier I went back and trimmed it off.

Piggyback question- will a beaver pelt ever get "paper dry" or will it always have a greasy feel to it? I also got my first raccoon this year and that dried great. Absolutely no greasy-ness to it at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
627 Posts
I got my first this year as well and some spots, mainly the edges weren't fleshed well enough and were greasy. Dabbing it with a towel a few times helped. As it dried and the fat I missed in the middle showed up easier I went back and trimmed it off.

Piggyback question- will a beaver pelt ever get "paper dry" or will it always have a greasy feel to it? I also got my first raccoon this year and that dried great. Absolutely no greasy-ness to it at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I've never seen a beaver pelt get 'paper dry' the way canines will. Even muskrats generally remain a bit tacky.

· Registered
627 Posts
Just starting casually trapping beaver for a couple weeks this past winter. Only got one. Fleshed it out a couple weeks ago and boarded it. The dried flesh still isn't really "dry". I can see grease on my fingers if I touch it. Is this normal?

I also don't know if I fleshed too deep. The skin is almost translucent in the middle along the back. I can see hair through it in most places. Is the hide still good for tanning or ruined? I can try and post pictures later. I've never fleshed anything before so I'm not sure what's normal and what's not. Thanks for any help.
Like Freepop said, it's really hard to overflesh beaver. They've got super thick, strong hides. When you say you see hair through it, can you actually see the hairs or touch the hairs on the skin side, or just dark spots? It's normal for them to have some grease on them, you just don't want a bunch of lumps of white fat. After they've dried for a couple days, a lot of times you can press fatty spots and 'milk' the liquid fat out, that will help any spots you missed dry up better.
The pelt is almost definitely not ruined. Especially if it's your first one, I'd tan it regardless just for the keepsake. If it comes back with a bunch of slipped spots you'll have learned something. I encourage everyone I talk to to get some hides tanned; it'll teach you a lot about putting fur up, fleshing, etc seeing what the finished product looks like after you've handled it. It'll also help you understand what fur buyers are talking about when they're either (rightfully) critiquing things you messed up or cut corners on or if they're ripping you off (less frequent nowadays).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.