Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article in a magazine a while back that said it was illegal to use 2-way radios to inform another hunter of game heading their direction (ie, drives, hunters in different stands, etc.). This doesn't seem very sporting to me, just curious if this is legal or not in Michigan.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
bucksnort73 said:
I read an article in a magazine a while back that said it was illegal to use 2-way radios to inform another hunter of game heading their direction (ie, drives, hunters in different stands, etc.). This doesn't seem very sporting to me, just curious if this is legal or not in Michigan.
I know of no such law. The transmission would not be against FCC regulations. Unless you used foul language which is prohibited by regulations set forth by the FCC.

I don't even see where it is taking the sport away. All I see is a hunting buddy telling you that there is what ever game is heading towards you. Doesn't mean your gonna get a shot or even bag the game. It would be just like if you were out scouting in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
we always carry them for safety. but our group forbids talking on them every since i missed out on an easy , and rather impresive buck because some one decided to ask me if i'd seen anything just as he was stepping into a clear shooting lane.
and yes i told him what i had seen and just how many beers he owed me for that buck.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=I7QToTDi&p_lva=&p_faqid=1280&p_created=1010362600&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTE5JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dXNpbmcgYSAyIHdheSByYWRpbyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

As I stated earlier in this thread. There is no law or regulation that prohibits this. Although you can use an airplane to spot game for you. But if you wanna talk to your hunting buddy and let him know if there is game heading towards him/her or vice versa it is perfectly legal.

Boehr was correct in that thread. I took this info from the DNR website ask dnr.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
some states have laws in which you may NOT use 2-ways in the pursuit of and or in the help of taking game! one such person who was ticketed and fined for such an offense was that guy who SUCKS face with his bass whats his name jimmy houston or something pro bass fisherman. ask him about his little fine, he thought it was legal too, but after the ticket and being informed that, the state he was in said its a NO NO! he found out to late.i don't know the state he was in but always best to see the C.O. and ask before it's COUPON time! but the great state of MICHIGAN sees it as no aide in the taking of game. good thing with all those non registered 2 ways out there during hunting season.
oh yes, if you do use them deer hunting a piece of priceless info-----buy a head set so BAMBI doesn't listen in on your conversation! that way if he shows up and your buddy is yacking away he can't hear him and you can WHACK-EM! cy-ops 101

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI said:
some states have laws in which you may NOT use 2-ways in the pursuit of and or in the help of taking game! one such person who was ticketed and fined for such an offense was that guy who SUCKS face with his bass whats his name jimmy houston or something pro bass fisherman. ask him about his little fine, he thought it was legal too, but after the ticket and being informed that, the state he was in said its a NO NO! he found out to late.i don't know the state he was in but always best to see the C.O. and ask before it's COUPON time! but the great state of MICHIGAN sees it as no aide in the taking of game. good thing with all those non registered 2 ways out there during hunting season.
oh yes, if you do use them deer hunting a piece of priceless info-----buy a head set so BAMBI doesn't listen in on your conversation! that way if he shows up and your buddy is yacking away he can't hear him and you can WHACK-EM! cy-ops 101
Thanks. I think that is the incident I was thinking of but it's been a while so I forgot the details. I was just curious if MI had a similar law. You're right that ignorance of the law is no excuse: just ask Mr. Houston!:evil:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Can't do it out here in Colorado, get yourself a nice fine and your firearms impounded. But it is perfectly fine to drive Elk, someone splain that to me. Les

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Wasn't Jimmy, it was Babe Winkelman.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Violator22 said:
Can't do it out here in Colorado, get yourself a nice fine and your firearms impounded. But it is perfectly fine to drive Elk, someone splain that to me. Les
In CO are you allowed to have the radios with you at all or just not use them for relaying info on game?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
bigcountrysg said:
Although you can use an airplane to spot game for you. But if you wanna talk to your hunting buddy and let him know if there is game heading towards him/her or vice versa it is perfectly legal.

You cannot use an airplane.....it would be considered "pursuing from a motorized vehicle."

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
it must be that ROCKY mountain HIGH thing you all got going out there!

rustyaxe ***thanks for the correction*** i knew it was one of those TV STARS like good ole fred, you do remember fred and the great DUCK debacle kinda like COLEMAN YOUNG going fishing down by the fair city of DETROIT

·
Registered
65 Posts
???? i could be mistaken but in the 2006 hunting guide it did prohibit the use of two way radios while hunting, and from what i recall this was placed in effect after a co heard sevral guys on a radio checking to see if anyone had a doe permit left. after i post this i'll go to mdnr sit and see if i can find it on the sight

·
Registered
65 Posts
went to the site and could not find it but do recall reading it and than having hubby read it, was a bit upset with it becuz i had just bought my hubby a nice set of two ways with headset and vox. but with hunting state land and reading that rule change we left them at home and carried whistles with us to let one another know when we were approaching the others stand

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
[As I stated earlier in this thread. There is no law or regulation that prohibits this. Although you can use an airplane to spot game for you. But if you wanna talk to your hunting buddy and let him know if there is game heading towards him/her or vice versa it is perfectly legal.

Boehr was correct in that thread. I took this info from the DNR website ask dnr.[/QUOTE]
i see the info is from 2002, and as chrissy has stated i do recall reading in the 2006 hunting guide that two way radios could not be use while deer hunting. did not care for the change, for i like to sit in my stand all day and this was a way we could conntact each other if one of us did get a deer and if someone needed help. after reading that we just used our phones and made sure not to use the direct connect on them

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Chrissy said:
???? i could be mistaken but in the 2006 hunting guide it did prohibit the use of two way radios while hunting, and from what i recall this was placed in effect after a co heard sevral guys on a radio checking to see if anyone had a doe permit left. after i post this i'll go to mdnr sit and see if i can find it on the sight
That would be poaching though. If some one shoots or takes game they do not possess a valid permit for it is poaching.

I have checked every where, even talked to a current dnr officer. There is nothing in state law that prohibits it. The dnr officer I talked to knew nothing that would be illegal about it.

I carry one plus my cell phone. But I don't talk on it while hunting. But it is there in case I need to contact the land owner of where I hunt.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Chrissy said:
went to the site and could not find it but do recall reading it and than having hubby read it, was a bit upset with it becuz i had just bought my hubby a nice set of two ways with headset and vox. but with hunting state land and reading that rule change we left them at home and carried whistles with us to let one another know when we were approaching the others stand
You're going to have a hard time finding something that isn't there. And you're also ignoring the advice of a recently retired CO
Perfectly legal. Nothing wrong with using them as long as they are properly licensed with the FCC. Most don't need to be but some use high band farm radios which must be licensed
The reason you gave for the law being changed would seem to be a reason to keep the law just like it is. Let idiots get themselves arrested by their own stupidity.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
there is nowhere in the 2006 MICHIGAN hunting and trapping guide which prohibits the use of 2-ways, phones or any other type of communication, ( other than those that you hunt with). you may rest assurred that a retired C.O. OF MICHIGAN would not make a statement of that caliber ( he stated LEGAL) WITHOUT DOING HIS HOMEWORK.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts