Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am looking for a low draw weight quality bow. Arthritis in my left elbow is really hurting at only 60lbs on my Martin Jaguar Mag and my Fred Bear Bosalino. The pain is bad enough in the warm weather I am really concerned about fall temps. I want a smmoth draw and accuracy is more important than speed. I have considered getting lower weight limbs for the Martin also. I need to do something or bow hunting is over and a crossbow is not an option for me.
My draw length is 27.5 inches.
Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Palmer

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
What year is the Jaguar Palmer?

·
Registered
144 Posts
you will more-than-likely get more opinions on this than you've had neighbors... lol
I make a living working with archery equipment every day, and have the fortunate oppertunity to shoot everything that comes across the line. P.S.E has come along way this year and I would definately look real hard at their Firestorm-X bow. Not a real speed demon, but draws extremely smooth for the pounds. Having said that: My first choice would definately be the Diamond Archery Black Ice. We have personally shot this bow along side the rest of the bows out there, and pound-for-pound it draws alot easier than any other bow set at the same pound out there. Even the Great Mathews, both switchback XT, and the Drenalin. If you can find a Black Ice near you, then have the poundage set at what you are shooting now, and then shoot the thing. This is by far not just my opinion, we all have agreed on the same conclusion, and it shoots just as well as it draws.
Good luck, and hope this helps.

P.S.... I hope not to offend anybody here as sounding bias against any other bows. just stating what we have found. thank you.
Jim

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not a big fan of these bows, kind of like hoyts myself, but the easiest fastest breaking bows and the lightest strenght to hold at full draw that I have shot are the onieda bows. At 70 lbs, it feels like drawing about 40 or 45 lbs cause the let off comes so quick. Like I said not a big fan, but by far the easiest I have shot. Go shoot a few different bows find one for your liking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kelly,
The Jaguar is a little old, probably a 2002 or 2003. I belieive its the first year the Jag Mag, it has the fusion cam.
Willy,
The holding poundage is not an issue, cam break-over is. The Oneidas are fine bows, I just do not care for them.
Bow mass weight can be an issue too.
Thanks for your replies.
Palmer

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll second with Oneida bows. One of the easiest bow you will ever pull. Not sure how much you want to spend, but you can find them used for a decent price. Also check out Monster Bows. They are out of Michigan as well. They aren't a cheap bow, but are high quality.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
For smoothness I would defently say the Oneida. Probably the smoothest bow I have ever pulled back. Would have bought one my self but there are no dealers in my area. I understand that they are very easy to work on, but I decided to purchase the bowtech Justice the second smoothest bow I have shot. This bow in now manufactured under the Diamond label. Good luck with you search but I can almost gurantee that there is a bow for you out. Have fun shooting the new technolgie.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My advise would be to visit several shops and see what they have in lower draw weights ,and draw them back to see what draw cycle is the most comfortable to you .

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
If you can get past the name, this is the bow your looking for.
http://www.hoyt.com/products/selena.tpl

The Hoyt Selena has woman in mind, but my stapfather, who cannot pull a lot of weight, has the model that the Selena replaced.....it was also aimed at female archers but for some reason, I cannot remember the model name. He pulls a whopping 40#'s with the cam n' half system....very smooth, very little bump when the cams roll over. This thing has plenty of oomph, even at 40# to kill deer. His draw is 27" It throws his Beman Carbon 500 arrows perfectly with steelforce cut on contact broadheads. I would not heisitate to use it. I'm sure some wouldn't let their ego get past the model name, but who cares if it keeps you in the woods! Give it a look, you won't be sorry. My stepfather shot a bunch of low poundage bows but after one shot through the Hoyt, he said Wow! He spent more than he planned, but he's glad he did.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I wonder if a Wheely bow wouldn't be in order.
Very even draw with little or no bumps.
Not many around these days though....Bowtech Pro 40 wheely was a creampuff and still had some balls in the speed dept too. 2003-2004 maybe?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Take a look at Monsterbows. They have a very smooth draw, a large brace height, and made right here in Michigan. They have the "look" of the Oneida, yet they have perfected and simplified the design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm overwhelmed by the responses. I'll check out every bow I can before I make a move. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Palmer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts