Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to get a good buck in a very low deer populated area? Im located about 30 min. west of houghton lake in Pioneer township. The area is heavily wooded. There is 40 acres of state owned land bordering my land and has about a 20 field in the middle. I only saw one doe last year but there was Signs EVERYWHERE that a buck was around. How coiuld i find that buck this year. Would a food plot help?

·
Administrator
35,954 Posts
Try to find scrapes/rubs and very carefully hunt over these. By carefully I mean, minimize your impact on the area including scent. Try not to let the buck "bust" you.

·
666 Posts
Interesting you mention quality deer in a very unpopulated deer area. This should be a lesson for all of us in deer management. Too many deer and too many does doesn't equate to quality bucks. And to have nice bucks, you have to make room for them.

I would add one piece of advice to what Steve said and that is to have a lot of patience and be ready at all times, as a nice buck is liable to appear like a ghost when you're least ready.

Boyd

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just another point for you to consider, I hunt within throwing distance of Houghton Lake, we have always had alot of does and some respectable bucks. Last year even though we had some of the best rubs and scrapes we only saw on buck. The bucks were all running nights because of the unseasonable weather. Your big buck is most likely there, he just went nocturnal. Still take the time to scout the area, pattern him and the does he will be chasing - if you have the time.
Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts