Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has been out since this snow(before last night's fluff) with quads. If so is it do able or should I switch to the arctic cat?

·
Registered
566 Posts
was trying to decide if I give it a try on the quad today or spend the day trying to get the sled running, thinking I need to pull and clean the carbs., Leaning towards fishing instead with the quad, will report back tonight on how it goes. I got the the big blackwater mudder tires with sheet metal screws in them so hoping to bust through the drifts.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Why use a quad if you have a sled? Sleds much safer and theres plenty of snow!
My answer to that is I have not taken the time to build an auger rack for the sled; need to desing one to easily come off like a reese hitch so I can close the lid on the sled trailer. Quad is all set up for fishing with place to carry electronics, gps mount, auger carrier, spud carrier, etc. so the short of it is that I been too lazy, or busy fishing, to set up the sled to carry my gear. Don't really want to put the auger in my tub and take up precious beer storage space.

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
Why use a quad if you have a sled? Sleds much safer and theres plenty of snow!
While true, I think guys on sleds sometimes take risks they wouldn't take on quads. I've read about quite a few rescues this year of guys who's sleds went through... In fact, I believe that "devils blanket" article describes several rescues involving snowmobiles.

A snowmobile is not a substitute for careful planning, thought, attention to surroundings and adherence to safety guidelines.

Not trying to argue the validity of sleds being inherently more able to get out of a tough situation (NOT guaranteed!), just concerned for safety of ice fishermen overall.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
While true, I think guys on sleds sometimes take risks they wouldn't take on quads. I've read about quite a few rescues this year of guys who's sleds went through... In fact, I believe that "devils blanket" article describes several rescues involving snowmobiles.

A snowmobile is not a substitute for careful planning, thought, attention to surroundings and adherence to safety guidelines.

Not trying to argue the validity of sleds being inherently more able to get out of a tough situation (NOT guaranteed!), just concerned for safety of ice fishermen overall.
You cant fix stupid! If you take anything on thin ice its going to go in. If I come up to the crack to go in and its open 10', I can skip across and go home. A quad will be searching for a place to get off or calling for help. Most sleds that go i are going very slow or are stopped. Keeping the speed up helps out a lot! Good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not crossing any cracks and you are only stating the obvious I'm just asking about the snow

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
you should be fine on the quad the drafts I've seen out there are not that bad and the areas I've been fishing and with the winds there still bear ice patches everywhere. Winds in 20's last night just kept blowing the snow all over

·
Registered
323 Posts
Was out last night with the quad (chains on all 4 tires) and is doable, but slow going. Quads without chains are going to have some problems. Was on the east side.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Mid-west side good to go, a little deeper closer to shore. Might have issues with 2wd.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
LionsFan, easiest is Sunset in my opinion. Second choice would be Thomas. But then comes down to where you want to fish or how deep ya want to get.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts