Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of keeping the doe numbers down and what is the preferred ratio? I hunt 100 acres of thick brush with a large pond in the center, surrounded by farmland. Pic is in my gallery.

Seems to me that keeping the doe numbers high on the property that I hunt, would keep the bucks on the property or at least close by.

Thanks for any info...

Bob

·
Registered
15,867 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I both agree and disagree with some of the ideas on QDM. I feel a 1:4 buck to doe ration is more reasonable.

You do have one thought right for sure. If you have does on your place, you'll also have bucks. Our place has been that way for a long time. Doe after doe. A friend has a farm where he sees some big bucks and few does. Come deer season, he doesn't see hardly a thing. Come deer season, I still see my does, but they suddenly have boyfriends....

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Doe + Buck = Fawn (twins in a healthy deer herd)

Now multiply this several times and you get

Does + Bucks = Fawns = An overbrowsed habitat, undernourished deer, weakened deer, invitation to disease due to deer weakness, etcl, etc, etc.

Keeping deer numbers at or a bit below the carrying capacity of the land is a key element of QDM.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That makes a lot of sense, especially in the northern tier of the UP where the severe winters drive all these deer into yards where there is a limited amount of food. Although the deer density in this area is low already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts