Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QDM works plain and simple. Years ago my Great Grand Father practiced his own version of QDM on his farm. 1200 acres of farm that is. 50 acres was the house, windmill, storm cellar, chicken coop, apple orchard, and a small garden. 200 acres were pasture and barn for 40 cattle, and one nasty bull that roamed the pasture. 400 acres was made as feed such as corn, hay, clover, alfalfa, rye, beans all grown in plots of 40 acres and rotated yearly. The rest of the property was oaks, beech, and other hardwoods as well as a nearly 150-acre cedar swamp.

Come mid July he would start using his evening hours in the barn’s hayloft scanning the fields identifying animals for the hunting season to come. He’d spend weeks looking for animals and doing rough age and for the fawns attempting to sex them. He’d have his notebook out writing every little detail of each night. Looking out at some 200 animals every night getting identifying marks from them anything to distinguish animals from each other.

Come the last weekend of September he would make “The Chart”. The chart would have a list of animals to be taken.

X amount of mature does.
X amount of immature antlerless animals by sex
X amount of 6 pointers
X amount of 8 pointers
X amount of 10 pointers or bigger

The normal chart would have around 80 animals to be taken that year. People outside the family were welcome to hunt as long as they stayed within his boundaries of animals harvested. He never thought of having anyone pay him a fee to hunt it either. Most non-relatives were people who had asked him to hunt there years ago that just came back. He kept the ratio of mature animals as close to 3 to 1 as he could. We had some very impressive racks come off the property over the 30 years he practiced this type of hunting. The biggest typical was a 14 pointer with a 28-inch spread with 14-inch tines taken by a guy from Pontiac.

QDM works when properly applied and made within the boundaries of good neighborly intentions.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
And we're suposed to believe this story ?
I'm curious how he was able to tell the sex of the fawns. Identifying 200 animals by their markings was a good one too.
Since you're 40, your great-grand father was doing this what...maybe 60 years ago ? This would have been before the first doe permits in northern Michigan. Way before doe permits in the southern half of Michigan.
There is some bull in this story, but it's not in your great-grand father's pasture.

L & O

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
L&O

Nice of you to think about it before you posted.

This was happening as I was a kid. from 40 years ago until he passed on at the age of 91 in 1986. What did he use to see that well? He had a pair of naval glasses, mounted on a tripod. Don't ask the magnification because I do not know. I do know this though, a deer at 400 yards took half your sight window as you looked through them. A fawn was about a third the window size.

If you've never seen naval glasses before I suggest you look at them before you ask more questions.

L&O in short you need to really look at the animals you have if you think they all look the same.

I've read the journals starting back in 1953. If you'd like to read one I could get one and meet you for lunch some weekend. Not a jab, just the facts.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
the naval glasses of which you speak were/are commonly known as 'big eyes' - we keep them mounted on our flying bridge on the ship I was on - 400 yards was nothing - easly tell the sex of any deer @ 400 yards given the proper angles etc - we could tell nationality of vessels miles away with them -

ferg....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Bunji:

Great Grandpa was ahead of his time and yes I believe your story and why not. Visionaries are quite common, I could name hundreds from good ol Chris Columbus to Napoleon.

The problem is, there are a few who do not have the same open mind set who have influence in what is or not acceppted fact by the public, and that's OK for it takes all kinds to make our society work.

In time the cream surfices to the top and the great majority recognizes the truth of the orginal visionaries. I believe we still have a few members in the flat earth society.

Keep the fun in hunting!

Ed Spin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts