Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish primarily for salmon up north, so I haven't spent time on the Flint River other than during the tournament each year. I bought a place on the river and I'm anxious to know what you guys have caught out of there. I've caught a few walleye and suckers in the spring and a couple of smallmouth in the summer. I have heard that a few pike have been caught and the obvious carp. My area is mostly rocky, so I have visions of catching smallmouth on spinners or flies. I would greatly appreciate any comments you guys could give. How much of a sucker run is there up here? Also, do the white bass make it all the way up? I caught quite a few smallmouth a couple of years ago (the only time I tried) in town, but they were all small. I'm not looking for a place to fish- I just want to know what's in there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a little of everything in the Flint but I usually go after smallies. The average size is pretty small but they sure are fun on light tackle. You can get the occasional 2-3 pounder but they're few and far between. I've never fished the sucker run but I know they're in there. I snagged a couple while walleye fishing just before the close and have seen large schools under the Mt. Morris Rd. bridge. I've heard from a couple sources that Salmon and brown trout come up the Flint but I've never seen one caught. Good luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
At a few of my secret smallmouth holes it is not uncomon to catch 10-20 2-3lb smallies a trip. I was out one morning with my brother in flushing and he caught a 12 inch brown on a rapala, then moved to another location were he caught a 17in walleye. So there is quite an aray of fish in that river from smallies to walleye to pike to carp to even a handfull of brown trout. Also seen a lamprey in there on one of my many fishing trips last summer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have read any of my posts I fished the Flint for quite some time. Once the season opens back up smallies are my target. What a blast on top water poppers and a 4-5 weight fly rod. Size varies depending on location and how fast the water warms up. Have also targeted carp and suckers on flies when you can sight fish for them. Mostly in the summer. The last few years I have caught steelhead close to downtown Flushing. The first were purely by accident and with the tackle I was using I could not hold them. Now, Buck tail spinners or small Husky Jerks work for me when this is the species you want to target. Only in the spring because I am fishing on the bay once my boat is in the water. Due to the classification of the Flint, the river is closed now but I am sure that right now there are steelies in there. Not many but a few natural spawners that have managed to call the Flint home. Have also seen them caught where the Cass-Shai.-and Flint come together up in Saginaw. Any that I have caught I release back hoping that we can get a few more back. I think it would be a great idea if us Flint River Rats could get together this spring and do alittle fishin'. What do you think?? Dream Catcher

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm definitely looking forward to trying flies. When the time comes I'll ask about the specifics. I've never tried fly fishing, but it seems like a pretty good place to learn without making a fool of myself.
On another topic, I thought you could fish suckers right now on the Flint as long as you used natural bait (worms) and had a drop weight of at least 3" or 6" (can't remember) and used a single hook. I was reading out of the fishing guide from last year on exceptions by county. If you know something I don't, please let me know. I've been planning on throwing out a line one of these days. I won't bother if it isn't legal.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Robin, you have the regs. correct. No artificials, no minnows. Single point, 1/2'' gap. You just can't fix a weight to your line, so a dropper or a slip sinker would be legal I guess. Good luck on the suckers (hoovers).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Flint River downstream from the Hamilton St. Dam in Flint and all tributaries, the following regulations apply from March 16 through the Friday before the last Saturday in April: unlawful to fish with artificial baits or minnows; natural baits may be fished only on a single-pointed hook with not more than 1/2" between point and shank; weights may not be rigidly attached to hooks; no hook may be attached to the line between any weight and the rod except on an unweighted dropper line at least 3" long; no beads, spinners, or reflectors may be attached to the line within 6" of any hook.

This is from 2003 regs. so confirm no revisions for this year are in effect.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be doing some yard work Saturday after I get back from Omer. I'll throw out a crawler and see what happens. I can't believe I'm going to wake up early on a Saturday to chase after a fish I don't even like looking at. Hopefully the kids will get into them.
Back to the river- I used to fish the Shiawassee River 5 or 6 years ago. We caught quite a few smallmouth and they were all on the large side. I wonder why that is. The river was much deeper than the Flint- maybe that has something to do with it.
Don't worry about me giving up any secrets. There is absolutely no chance of me keeping a fish out of there. I'm just anxious to conquer a new spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts