Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PWT ran a tourney on the St. Mary's this past weekend. We saw the same thing as last year. Folks downriver of the "release" site report a lot of dead walleye floating by.

They just don't seem to surive the miles and miles of hammering you see in this event.

Sad to see.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
instead of releasing knowing so many will perish, they should give the fish away to needy families in the area

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
a good reason to outlaw tourneys on these vast bodies of water. Never proves much anyway.. kinda like trotts or nuge's caged hunts..duh ,yeah aim shoot!..did you catch the other sites thread on how rude the PRO's were blasting thru the channel with their 300 verados wide open?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Shametamer, I am kind of surprised to hear the PWT guys blowing through no wake zones?? Where did you see a post on this? As for shooting ducks in a barrel, I wish the Sault were that easy! If it were I would be up there every weekend! Bummer to hear about dead fish. Those guys are pros and should be able to keep the fish alive in the conditions that they encountered. Or as previously stated keep the fish and put them to good use. Sorry to hear they were not courteous. My favorite spot to fish in the entire state Is out of Sault Saint Marie. Great people, good walleye, and great scenery. What a great place!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Part of that has to do w/ the nature of the fish.

Walleye are not as hardy as bass and do not take to 'livewell-living' as well as bass do. Some of this is to be expected. On the other hand, why waste walleye?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Shametamer, I am kind of surprised to hear the PWT guys blowing through no wake zones?? Where did you see a post on this? As for shooting ducks in a barrel, I wish the Sault were that easy! If it were I would be up there every weekend! Bummer to hear about dead fish. Those guys are pros and should be able to keep the fish alive in the conditions that they encountered. Or as previously stated keep the fish and put them to good use. Sorry to hear they were not courteous. My favorite spot to fish in the entire state Is out of Sault Saint Marie. Great people, good walleye, and great scenery. What a great place!
yeah we stopped in for the weigh-in(as we do at numerous tourneys), i was unaware of any probs til i start running around the internet.....i believe lake-link..is the site of that quote.....yeah we kinda enjoy Jeff's restaurant up that way.....comparing great walleye water to caged hunts may seem unfair, but in reality i am much more impressed with guys that can fish TOUGH waters and succeed, rather than big walleye factories..kinda why i gave up on DWF tourneys....tirpaks bunch know the river/erie too well...i'd have to have my biggest bag ever just to smell any placing.... but i would be happy to measure my bay of quinte oct 4th bag against your kent lake oct 4th bag!:evilsmile..p.s. be glad when i nail my first wallhanger eye..these foreign licenses, resorts and long drives are getting expensive!:yikes:........p.p.s. i was a little disappointed that walleye guys were being considered discourteous.....trout or bass guys sure..but i have higher expectations from walleye fishermen!:hide:;).... on a further note..how well do you know Tom Skarlis? He always cracks me up..is he as interesting when he is off stage?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
...were being considered discourteous.....trout or bass guys sure..but i have higher expectations from walleye fishermen!:hide:;)....
Now the crack against the trout guys I understand, but bass guys? :confused::lol:

Most of us "bass guys" (and I use that term loosly, especially for MYSELF!) are fairly laid-back dudes. :fish:

;)

...unless you're referring to dock owners, who insist they OWN the water around that dock too! Nevermind THEIR dock is in PUBLIC water

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I wouldn't say they were bad guys. They know they need to leave as best an impression as they can. A few of em spend some time at a friends house, have a beer, share some knowledge. Overall good guys.

It's just the dead fish that's sad. I dont think any fish can take that kinda pounding for that many miles.

I know some guys are upset that these big boys run 70 down the river. But its a big river, if they want to run the rocks have at it.;)

I think its maybe a little bit of envy that they can only run 50 or so.;)

Either way I finally go to lay my eyes on the fiberglass Lund. My oh my...sell the kids and rent out the wife...daddy needs extra cash!

·
Registered
476 Posts
We didn't seem to have any problem with the pros blasting by us. In fact I think every one of them slowed down when they passed by. And they have a right to drive their boats as quickly as they like, don't they?

On another note, the reason people were seeing dead walleye could have been from the way they went about releasing them. A lot of the fish were put in viewing tanks for an extended period of time. There was a lot of shuffling about of fish, and when the tribe was surveying the fish, they weren't always handled with the utmost care. Another factor can be the freighters. I have personally seen them make walleye retarded and float to the surface, although I'm sure that dead fish coinciding with the tournament is not a coincidence. Just a thought though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i agree with wardo on how the fish were handled by the tribe. as far as walleye floating up from frieghters going by i have never seen that in 15 years of fishing walleye in the st. marys.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I watched a 14 3/4" walleye get blown up by a freighter last sunday. It wasn't there before the boat went by and it was after. Seagull bait.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I talked with a few buddies that live in the area. They had nice things to say about the whole event. They also commented about the Indians?? and the fish handling.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,308 Posts
I watched a 14 3/4" walleye get blown up by a freighter last sunday. It wasn't there before the boat went by and it was after. Seagull bait.
You sure it wasn't a zander released out of the ballast water tanks? ;) Or maybe a meat rig fisherman gut hooked the little thing and had to release it?
I do not live there but have logged a lot of hours of hundreds of freighters going by. Never saw a dead eye yet, very few floaters for that fact considering the amount of fish in the system.
I am pretty sure a 50K ton freighter with several thousand HP engines humming along can be detected well enough in advance to get outta the way. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure it was a walleye. When I netted the thing to measure it I suppose I could have gotten a scale sample, but the white spot on the bottom of the tail and the eyes kinda give em away. And I didn't say it was dead, it was knocked senseless and became seagull bait. I watched 3 birds finish the job shortly after I left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts