Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I’m up hunting the baldwin unit and planned on using a local shop. Still will, but wondered if anyone knew a place “down state” on the way from Cadillac to Flint area. Just kicking tires to try and shorten the return drive on pick up day if I’m lucky enough to tag out.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
They process all the in-laws deer and have proceeded 2 bear for them also. Not a huge time savings but he makes great sausage and jerky.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
JDean's in Davison. Great place and people.
It's actually mark Thomas deer processing it is however right next to j dean's sausage and they do make some good stuff. Mark Thomas is the best commercial deer cutting operation I have ever used. They cut it just like I would at home, unfortunately I can't speak for their work on bears as I have not been that lucky.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hey guys. I’m up hunting the baldwin unit and planned on using a local shop. Still will, but wondered if anyone knew a place “down state” on the way from Cadillac to Flint area. Just kicking tires to try and shorten the return drive on pick up day if I’m lucky enough to tag out.

Thanks!!

i'm in the same boat putting the cart before the horse, I called Deline's in Reed City he told me to let them know what time I would be there and they would be waiting any time to get the bear in and skinned, and in cold storage ASAP. I would not chance traveling any distance in this warm weather you need to get the meat cooled quick they hold a lot of heat that can spoil the meat in no time. I have never used them in the past just received info from another hunter.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm in the same boat putting the cart before the horse, I called Deline's in Reed City he told me to let them know what time I would be there and they would be waiting any time to get the bear in and skinned, and in cold storage ASAP. I would not chance traveling any distance in this warm weather you need to get the meat cooled quick they hold a lot of heat that can spoil the meat in no time. I have never used them in the past just received info from another hunter.
I ended up with this exact same thought and brought this Bruin to Ebels in Falmouth rather than drive it home. It’ll be a good excuse to come bird hunting in a couple weeks. Lol.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys!!!

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
It’s not difficult to skin and quarter. If you can do a deer you can do a bear. Skinning for a rug isn’t difficult.
Very much agree with Gillz. It isn‘t difficult to skin a bear, even for a rug - but it is very important to get it done and get the meat cooled right away. We get them skinned, quartered and in the fridge the same day they are killed.

You don't need to take the whole bear in for registration. All they collect is a tooth for aging. Take in the head and cape and leave the meat in the cooler/fridge.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
JDean's in Davison. Great place and people.
Just a heads up, I went to J Dean's and they would not do mine. They said it had to be a whole animal and mine was already caped and quartered by the guide in the UP. A place just south of them on Potter Rd did mine, J&S I believe it is. I got home from camp on Monday early evening and he had it done by 7 PM same day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Just a heads up, I went to J Dean's and they would not do mine. They said it had to be a whole animal and mine was already caped and quartered by the guide in the UP. A place just south of them on Potter Rd did mine, J&S I believe it is. I got home from camp on Monday early evening and he had it done by 7 PM same day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have guessed being quartered would be an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could simply be a space issue. Can’t hang the whole bear so maybe there is no place to lay the quarters. Does seem a little odd though. Has always been a good place and hope the processing goes well.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My cabin is at Falmouth . I have taken quartered bears , numerous times , to be butchered at Ebels . We do this on way home from our Ontario hunts . Never an issue .
This is where I went. They have the full bear and put it right into the cooler. They had a few other bears in there. I’m pretty sure I made the right call going there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts