Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No ice anytime soon in SE MI.
Might as well explore some muddy shores and cast to open water.
No?

G

·
I have some faith, I bought a Fish Trap Pro the other day and put it together and it's ready to go in the basement. I did throw the poles back in the truck though and stopped at a couple spots for some shore action jigging for pike the last couple days. Nothing biting, but I am gonna keep trying. Lots of open water at my usual summer spots.

·
Registered
317 Posts
jpollman said:
Winter sure seems to be taking its sweet time getting here. But it's far from over. I've got a feeling that we're going to get dumped on big time come february.
I sure hope so. Normally ice fishing is something i do to pass the time, this year i was really looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
This warm weather makes for very comfortable river fishing though. I have a few trout streams that are open year round near my house that I may have to try :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I agree guys, think I am going to get the Hyde out and do a road trip.
Still have the shanty in the truck bed though ;)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I agree..I was on the ice today in Oakland county and although
it was still very safe, I think tommorrow may be my last day on it for awhile.
Time to put the long pole back in and hit the local rivers for some
Steel or Eyes.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
its done for awile. theres water on top of the ice out on my lake. I fished yesterday and left my tip up out there and i was going to pick it up in the morning but it rained alot last night.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was out on Stoney Creek (Main Lake) today, 4 to 6 inches of ice, Squaw had about the same ice yesterday. Will probably be back out there tomorrow. Caught about 100 dinks, as usual, and a 24" pike on a tip up.

There are quite a few local lakes that still have good ice, just think shallow lakes.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah...this is just my second year ice fishing. Technically, it's my first full season. I've been studying, purchasing, reading, studying, watching and studying some more and was really ready to compete this year! Crap! :bash: :bash: I'm gonna break out the open water gear this weekend and head to the Grand River and try to slay some 'eyes!

Come on ICE!!

There's rumor of a 'system' over Russia right now delivering -50 temps. I'm no meterologist, but if I'm not mistaken....what Russia gets takes about 2 ~ 2.5 weeks to make it's way over here to the states.....BRING IT!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Have the previous years really been that much better for SE Michigan? Seriously, I'd like to know. I have a bad memory, but I seem to remember bringing out the permenent shanty to the ice for MLK weekend (this weekend, last year). The year before that, tho, I think it was closer to superbowl. I'm anticipating it like everyone else, and it sure sucks right now, but... I think this weather is on par with normal Januarys in Michigan.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Yes, it is frequently better than this in SE Michigan. The best season in the last 5 years or so was the '02-'03 season. I remember being out the first week in December in 2002 and never looked back. No spoiler warmups that season. Ice out in late March...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
weres a good site 4 longrange weather ?

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
bigbob said:
weres a good site 4 longrange weather ?
www.weather.com ..... just enter in your zip and you can get 10 day forcasts.

I'm headin for Burt Lake on 16th and 17th. New Fishtrap Pro that hasn't seen ice yet!:sad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts