Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using shallow tubs to purge out my crayfish but had been losing a few to die-off in the process. My brother had an old turtle aquarium that he gave me to use as a holding tank and it works perfectly! I placed some crushed limestone in 1/2 of it so they could get out of the water if the pump failed and left the other end bare. Made sure it was fully enclosed as they will climb right up the wire and would be sitting on top of the pump assembly. They like to crowd around under the waterfall. I clean the filter and change the water by dropping a sump pump in the tank to drain it off, them pour 10 gallons of fresh water back in. 2 weekends ago I had 18 that I didn't boil up so I left them in there the entire week and did not lose any. Saturday morning I dumped another 60 in there and Sunday morning I dumped another 70 for a total of 150 which you see in the pics. I did not have a single one die and it works like a champ! We boiled them all up on Sunday and I froze a few bags of meat for future dishes. I spoke with the DNR field office to make sure I was OK on the possession regulations and he said absolutely...no limit on number or length of time possessed, Just don't use as bait!!!

IMAG0455.jpg IMAG0454.jpg IMAG0456.jpg IMAG0458a.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Funny, I had been working on a catch storage problem after I had a bunch die in a short amount of time and thought about a similar idea. Glad to see it works!

I was going to place a bubbler in a cooler to oxygenate the water while I stored them before a boil, but like the idea of an aquarium better.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
For me.. Theres no need to purge them. Pretty much everyone I know just eats them.. But if your worried about the mud vein, it's easy to remove after cooking. Once cooked pull the little flap of meat above the vein off and eat, pull the vein and eat the rest..

·
Registered
875 Posts
Your right there ripp to some i guess its just peace of mind. Mine is more or less a holding tank until i get enough to boil. We dont get alot at a time so it might take a few trips.​

·
Registered
58 Posts
I set up an aquarium bubbler in my cooler yesterday, didn't lose a single one. Added about 75 more to the cooler this morning... planning on boiling Saturday. It was going to be tonight, but my son just got back from Tennessee and wants to catch more to eat this weekend!

I'll report back with how well it worked later this week.

Right now I'm just doing this for storage until we can boil them, but I've been sitting in the purging camp based on how I learned to do a boil... I guess it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I like the idea of not eating poop. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts