Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I don't know if the Great Lakes are a contaminated dump or not, but as a 40-year Government research scientist one thing I know is that the best way to justify/increase your budget is to make scary and outlandish statements. It always comes down to the money!
Exactly! When I was a graduate student we joked the if we could tie in our bovine conjunctivital basement membrane research to HIV we'd be rolling I'm grant money!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Our waterways have long been a dump.
No surprise there are residues we don't want 9today) in them.
And many waters lead to the great lakes.

Sure better today than in my Youth.
Swimming in who knows what among sheens and dead fish.
Sewers running into lakes and rivers.
Industries dumping right along.

Stirring up sediments stirs up ghosts. And most springs and high rain events sees stirred up sediments.

Till we quit dumping untreated sewage into our waters I'm not losing sleep over pfas ghosts.
Or the heavy metals and toxins of the past.
Quit adding to the problem first. Then worry about the past and how /if anything needs done ,how to do it , and who pays.

Stand on a pier at a river mouth and watch what enters the given lake. Cruise a mudline in a boat.
What you see ain't all what's going into the lake. But it's still plenty more than should be going in.

Why worry about contamination while we continue to contaminate? Is there some imposed limit or something?
And if there is , why are raw sewage spills still tolerated?
Can I dump my toilet in a river or lake without violating laws? Yet a community can again and again and again, while acting like it's nature not man causing the spills.
Sue them , toss the E.P.A. on them and fine them enough that they quit.
Apply the penalties to clean up.

Yea right, guess who is the biggest waste dumper, Detroit. All of Michigan would have to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Can I dump my toilet in a river or lake without violating laws? Yet a community can again and again and again, while acting like it's nature not man causing the spills.
Sue them , toss the E.P.A. on them and fine them enough that they quit.
Apply the penalties to clean up.
Waif, there still are homes where the waste goes directly into a river. These are spots where codes and ordinances are lax or nonexistent. Shiawassee river has a few that I know of.

Beyond that Michigan is a spiller pays for clean up state. So, it's a matter of enforcement which most people don't seem to approve of. Going by what I read on this site.

When municipal systems are overwhelmed by storm water there is little they can do to prevent spillage. Systems which keep the storm drains separate from sewage are better. But it would be expensive to upgrade or replace older existing systems.

Lucky we are having a drought 'eh?

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Yea right, guess who is the biggest waste dumper, Detroit. All of Michigan would have to pay for it.
Detroit has one of the finest water systems in the country. They have not seen many waste water spills in recent history.

Uranium of course is another matter.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Waif, there still are homes where the waste goes directly into a river. These are spots where codes and ordinances are lax or nonexistent. Shiawassee river has a few that I know of.

Beyond that Michigan is a spiller pays for clean up state. So, it's a matter of enforcement which most people don't seem to approve of. Going by what I read on this site.

When municipal systems are overwhelmed by storm water there is little they can do to prevent spillage. Systems which keep the storm drains separate from sewage are better. But it would be expensive to upgrade or replace older existing systems.

Lucky we are having a drought 'eh?
Drought only delays the flushing of oil , tar, grease, tranny fluid, and who knows what all into and through storm sewers.

Municipal systems have no control over flow?
Retention has multiple concepts. Capacity of storage being one. Pump that shTtUff up into a reservoir.
Expand holding ponds with a required 1/3 total system capacity being dry cells reserved for disaster (disaster being capacity threatened) during heavy rain events and roof them.

At least have an overflow line feeding the governors mansion. Including one for each of the bathtubs.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Drought only delays the flushing of oil , tar, grease, tranny fluid, and who knows what all into and through storm sewers.

Municipal systems have no control over flow?
Retention has multiple concepts. Capacity of storage being one. Pump that shTtUff up into a reservoir.
Expand holding ponds with a required 1/3 total system capacity being dry cells reserved for disaster (disaster being capacity threatened) during heavy rain events and roof them.

At least have an overflow line feeding the governors mansion. Including one for each of the bathtubs.
They have to work with the system they have and the &@$#%^&!* climate as well. We can't even get funding through to pay for needed infrastructure repairs let alone improvements.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
They have to work with the system they have and the &@$#%^&!* climate as well. We can't even get funding through to pay for needed infrastructure repairs let alone improvements.
Can't accuse us of model efficiency that's for sure.
Still , don't put a usable outhouse in your yard and bypass the city sewer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Detroit has one of the finest water systems in the country. They have not seen many waste water spills in recent history.
I suppose recent history for some folks means within the last 24 hours.
These happened 72 hours ago.
CSO Discharge 6-8-2021.jpg

The estimated quantities are not available since the report status is "in process"

About 3 weeks ago Wayne County dumped 1.1 Million gallons into the lower Rouge.
CSO Discharge WC.jpg

Site

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Uranium of course is another matter.

Of course Nostromo thinks the overflow did not come from Detroit!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I suppose recent history for some folks means within the last 24 hours.
These happened 72 hours ago. View attachment 771560
The estimated quantities are not available since the report status is "in process"

About 3 weeks ago Wayne County dumped 1.1 Million gallons into the lower Rouge.
View attachment 771561

Site

Well, if you look at the final reports you posted. You see permit numbers which tell you these were done under the permit system. We could use up grades to our system just like the entire country. $90 Billion aught to do it.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Well, if you look at the final reports you posted. You see permit numbers which tell you these were done under the permit system. We could use up grades to our system just like the entire country. $90 Billion aught to do it.
Sure it is easy to charge for a permit and make it legal. That doesn't make it right or acceptable. If you cant afford to make the system right just charge them for what they dump. Makes perfect sense.

It is sorta like charging companies for their carbon footprint. I pay for someone else to theoretically become greener so I can spew more carbon than I am allowed. It solves nothing and the carbon continues to be let out.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Sure it is easy to charge for a permit and make it legal.
This not what permits do. I'm sure you already know that though.
That doesn't make it right or acceptable.
Well, right and acceptable are hard to legally define. Codes, and standards are how it is done. These are not static and change as technology and information dictate. Again, I'm sure you know this.
If you cant afford to make the system right just charge them for what they dump. Makes perfect sense.
Perfect sense?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have come to believe that almost all things, "today" and for a long, LONG time....along with only getting worse still, is our total lack in faith of the "truth" and/or trust of same....I framed an article by Mitch Albom, when ? (had to google it) lol....1992, I was a huge student of history and politics....never college edumacated though....so "simple" lol....

Does not matter the topic, from science to politics to sports to the MS forum, lol....individual integrity and pride are gone & those who may try and maintain some, are laughed at....yeah, yeah, history is full of BS, as is life....but I still see a difference from then, till now....
SHAME ON US FOR BETRAYING THE TRUTH » Mitch Albom
DSCN0401.JPG

Call it corny....ps....I've been eating D river Walleye for 55 years & I've been "magnetized" long before getting the covid vaccine !!!!....

21 - 34 of 34 Posts