Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I’m pretty leary of ‘research’. A lot of junk science out there such as the report of ‘the giant hole’ in the St Clair River caused by dredging that was sucking all the water out of the Great Lakes a few years ago. All the media jumps all over stories like that...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't know if the Great Lakes are a contaminated dump or not, but as a 40-year Government research scientist one thing I know is that the best way to justify/increase your budget is to make scary and outlandish statements. It always comes down to the money!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m pretty leary of ‘research’. A lot of junk science out there such as the report of ‘the giant hole’ in the St Clair River caused by dredging that was sucking all the water out of the Great Lakes a few years ago. All the media jumps all over stories like that...
If you have any proof that states or shows the opposite, I’m ready to read it. I’ll be waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if the Great Lakes are a contaminated dump or not, but as a 40-year Government research scientist one thing I know is that the best way to justify/increase your budget is to make scary and outlandish statements. It always comes down to the money!
Any research you have that shows these are outlandish statements?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Any research you have that shows these are outlandish statements?

My comment was not specifically directed at the article, and any statements therein. I didn't read the article, thus I currently have no opinion on its veracity. My post was general in nature, and only intended to illustrate that in some instances (really most instances) that money drives outcomes of research. This I know empirically.

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
My comment was not specifically directed at the article, and any statements therein. I didn't read the article, thus I currently have no opinion on its veracity. My post was general in nature, and only intended to illustrate that in some instances (really most instances) that money drives outcomes of research. This I know empirically.
You should have put it this way in the first place. :)

I don't doubt the research or the findings. I do doubt there is much we can do aside from not releasing additional PFAS into the environment. Which we are working on right now.

Just to add to the topic. They found PFAS in Lake Mead and other water sheds out west. With the current drought the water level is down in Lake Mead. Lake Mead Water Level (uslakes.info) I imagine with contaminated ground exposed and evaporation of the water. They would be seeing the same results out there where the PFAS is landing in agricultural fields. Nice thought 'eh.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Exactly....Depending how old you are. My recollection of a couple chicken little cries.

Late 70's ,Acid rain(despite burning more fossil fuels today than ever, the media doesn't report on it any longer)It leaches methylmecury from the soil ,then carries into the watershed.
A short while later. Dioxin!!!! It's everywhere North Pole,South Pole and depths of all oceans. Carried by prevailing winds earth wide.

Almost forgot about the Ozone layer disappearing . Another decry from the late 70's.

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
Exactly....Depending how old you are. My recollection of a couple chicken little cries.

Late 70's ,Acid rain(despite burning more fossil fuels today than ever, the media doesn't report on it any longer)It leaches methylmecury from the soil ,then carries into the watershed.
A short while later. Dioxin!!!! It's everywhere North Pole,South Pole and depths of all oceans. Carried by prevailing winds earth wide.

Almost forgot about the Ozone layer disappearing . Another decry from the late 70's.
Acid Rain

Dioxin

Ozone Layer

At least you remember these issues. That's not without hope. lol

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Lest we forget the Alar scare.....
Letters to the Editor, Columbia Journalism Review, Nov/Dec. 1996
Comforted with Apples

All that really needs to be said about Elliott Negin's article attempting to justify the Alar hoax ("The Alar Scare Was For Real," CJR, Sept./Oct. 1996) is to ask what planet he has been inhabiting for the last seven-and-a-half years. Since that time, virtually every reputable scientific body and leading scientist – ranging from the National Cancer Institute to the American Medical Association, the World Health Organization, and C. Everett Koop – has gone on record as saying that the use of Alar on apples never posed any risk to the health of either children or adults. Are we to dismiss all of these testimonies as a "concerted disinformation campaign by industry trade groups"?

Virtually the only scientists who still regard the Alar scare as genuine are those associated with the EPA – who, in doing so, are merely carrying out the agency's protocol that any substance that causes cancer in high doses in even a single rodent is therefore a "probable human carcinogen" (a standard that, if applied to natural substances, would lead to the banning of peanuts, honey, mushrooms, and tap water).

And even within the EPA this standard is on the way out, as witness the bipartisan repeal of the Delaney Clause (the law which first institutionalized this standard in 1958) this past summer, and the announcement by the EPA last spring that it would be drawing up new guidelines for the assessment of cancer risk, which would no longer rely on high-dose, single-species animal tests.

Elizabeth M. Whelan
President
American Council on Science and Health
New York, NY

Marty

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Remember when everyone was going to die from Black mold.

Houses were sitting vacant and everyone I knew was working on cleaning it up.

Then it just went away.

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
Remember when everyone was going to die from Black mold.

Houses were sitting vacant and everyone I knew was working on cleaning it up.

Then it just went away.
That's a good point.
I have a friend who's condo was flooded by a hurricane in Galveston. The repair crew found mold and she was kept out for months while it was remediated. Nothing wrong with getting rid of mold of course. But come on...

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
I should have said Al Gore is a very wealthy man with a massive carbon footprint. And a former president bought a big house on the ocean... which is supposedly going to be flooded by rising seas soon.
Have private jet, will travel.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I should have said Al Gore is a very wealthy man with a massive carbon footprint. And a former president bought a big house on the ocean... which is supposedly going to be flooded by rising seas soon.
Hypocritical politicians... whooda thunk? o_O

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
Our waterways have long been a dump.
No surprise there are residues we don't want 9today) in them.
And many waters lead to the great lakes.

Sure better today than in my Youth.
Swimming in who knows what among sheens and dead fish.
Sewers running into lakes and rivers.
Industries dumping right along.

Stirring up sediments stirs up ghosts. And most springs and high rain events sees stirred up sediments.

Till we quit dumping untreated sewage into our waters I'm not losing sleep over pfas ghosts.
Or the heavy metals and toxins of the past.
Quit adding to the problem first. Then worry about the past and how /if anything needs done ,how to do it , and who pays.

Stand on a pier at a river mouth and watch what enters the given lake. Cruise a mudline in a boat.
What you see ain't all what's going into the lake. But it's still plenty more than should be going in.

Why worry about contamination while we continue to contaminate? Is there some imposed limit or something?
And if there is , why are raw sewage spills still tolerated?
Can I dump my toilet in a river or lake without violating laws? Yet a community can again and again and again, while acting like it's nature not man causing the spills.
Sue them , toss the E.P.A. on them and fine them enough that they quit.
Apply the penalties to clean up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts