Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new pup inhales his food to the point where i've had to clear his throat at least 4 times so the idiot didn't choke to death, any tips on how to slow him down enough to actually chew something....

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
my new pup inhales his food to the point where i've had to clear his throat at least 4 times so the idiot didn't choke to death, any tips on how to slow him down enough to actually chew something....
Put a big rock in the bowl. My pointer pup does the same thing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My brother had the same issue with one of his labs. He put 3-4 golf balls in the bowl and it slowed him down. When I asked if he tries to eat the golf balls he said that the dog eats around them.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I use the slow feed bowls

·
Registered
923 Posts
Chief does the same thing. I started putting his food in a kitty litter pan so the kibble spreads out and he can't take such huge mouthfuls.

Maybe try splitting the portion into multiple feedings throughout the day.
I do not see how this is a good idea cat **** is toxic to dogs so teaching them to eat from the cat pan is bad imo water in the food will work better and cheaper

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Maybe feed him by himself, he might be feeling competition from other dogs if you gang feed everyone at once.

Here's the brake-fast bowl: http://www.gundogsupply.com/meblbrbo.html

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I do not see how this is a good idea cat **** is toxic to dogs so teaching them to eat from the cat pan is bad imo water in the food will work better and cheaper
My dogs should be dead then... conservatively, a few hundred times each.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I feed my dogs separately also. The older dog has his food in the laundry room and the young dog eats in his crate. Both dogs are slow eaters...

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I thought that to and have been feeding him by himself for 4 weeks no change in the approach,

Good point. If it's an established eating habit, it will likely be hard to break without some physical impediment.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I was going to suggest one of those bowls that slow their eating... But I see several people beat me to it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Or try a muffin pan--cheaper than the slow feeders.

·
Registered
18,671 Posts
Won,t reduce speed of intake but is feed dish/pan elevated a good distance off floor?
Head down makes it hard to rush food or water down.
We feed them kibble instead of a deer carcass, its not natural to vacuum little pieces off floor when hitting feed hard.
I feed terriers chucks of meat away from regular feeding time to avoid conflict with enzymes and digesting dry food and what few dogs chew are just scissoring it a bit,most just gulp it down.Greater than can be swallowed gets scissored till it can be.Seldom see a crumb.
Feed em wet food they hog it down. I feed dry usually so they break some of it to swallow easier,I doubt it needs to be chewed for digestions sake.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have seen this issue with a couple dogs. The latest was a pointer puppy. He eventually grew out of it. They make stainless balls about the size of a softball you can put in the dish. You could probably use a softball as well. The dog must eat around the ball. I would be a little nervous about a golf ball. Our dog would just swallow mouthfulls as fast as he could. Large ball is very effective and safe

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My younger setter outgrew it. I have a friend that had a non-hunting Weim. They put a short length of heavy chain in the bowl.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
I feed my dogs separately also. The older dog has his food in the laundry room and the young dog eats in his crate. Both dogs are slow eaters...
Mine all feed together. They eat like they run, Pointers blaze through a bowl of chow while my Setter eats more deliberately.
Setter gets his chow first(I feed in order of age) yet the Pointers both finish eating before he does.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts