Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an english setter pup about 6 months old. it is a female and she is doing well on obedience and has been out in the field a bit and has gotten into some birds. the only thing that is a problem is she will not bark or scratch to go outside to pee. She just stands there and if you do not see her she will stand till she can't anumore. i try to watch as much as I can but I also have 3 kids to take care of as well. She sometimes will wet her crate too while I am st work and I know she can hold it that long caus she usually does. Any advice on how to get her to speak up when she need sto go out. This is the only real problem I have with her other than the typical chewing issues etc that you have with most breeds.

Thanks in advance

Adam

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not all dogs progress at the same rate. NONE of my dogs bark to be let out. I have to "read" them. Or an internal alarm clock goes off in my head and I let them out.

If She's messin' in the house. Try setting a timer for yourself and let her out more often. She'll get the idea.

some of my dogs will pace when they need to go outside.

I have one Brittany female that will get my attention just by staying real close to me or putting her head in my lap and staring. I get the hint;)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Sounds like the dog needs to go on a schedule. Let her out every hour or so (or a period of time that works) and stick to it for a while.

My Pointer didn't start barking, yowling, and growling to get out until he was about 9-10 months old. Prior to that I had to pay attention to when he was at the door. Having said that, he's also a royal pain in the ass if he needs out and sometimes that manifests itself in overly rambunctious behavior.

As for the crate, how much water is the dog taking down in the morning? Don't cut her off, but you may want to limit what she is getting if she's chugging down water before you leave for work.

My two cents.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If the dog paces in the room in front of you and then gives you "the look", put your shoes on. My dog used to sit by the door, now she puts her chin on the coffee table and rolls her big browns at me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another thing you might try is hanging a bell from the door. When you go out, make her ring the bell (use her paw in your hand). Eventually she'll get the hint that when you need to go out, ring the bell.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
:yeahthat:

That works perfectly. We have friends with two GSP's and they both ring the bells when they want out. As I recall they learned pretty fast. Although you have to listen for the bell even if you are busy. FRANK

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ah, ye 'ol bell technique!!!

Did this with my bitch some seven years ago and it worked like a charm. After she was trained, she would ring that bell everytime she needed to go to the bathroom, everytime she wanted to go outside, everytime she saw a bird outside, everytime she wanted to go play, everytime ...., everytime ..... I think you get the point here. She drove me absolutely nuts with that damn bell ringing. Needless to say, we took that bell and chucked it in the garbage.

Another important lesson I learned is that placement of the bell is crucial. We hung ours around the door handle so that it was even with her nose. Good idea? No, she wouldn't hit that damn bell with her nose, she would reach up with her paw and give it a whack. To this day, without a bell in sight, my bitch will reach up with her paw and scratch every door she wants to go through. Seven years of scratching every door in sight, has not put me in good regards with the wife. I guess I don't recognize it as a problem, because I never tried to retrain her. HOwever, don't mention this to my wife, she will go balistic.

Anyways, I guess the moral of this story is for you to try to think ahead of what type of "bad habits" ye ol' bell technique may produce because the bell technique works, maybe a little too well.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Ah, ye 'ol bell technique!!!

Did this with my bitch some seven years ago and it worked like a charm. After she was trained, she would ring that bell everytime she needed to go to the bathroom, everytime she wanted to go outside, everytime she saw a bird outside, everytime she wanted to go play, everytime ...., everytime ..... I think you get the point here. She drove me absolutely nuts with that damn bell ringing. Needless to say, we took that bell and chucked it in the garbage.

Another important lesson I learned is that placement of the bell is crucial. We hung ours around the door handle so that it was even with her nose. Good idea? No, she wouldn't hit that damn bell with her nose, she would reach up with her paw and give it a whack. To this day, without a bell in sight, my bitch will reach up with her paw and scratch every door she wants to go through. Seven years of scratching every door in sight, has not put me in good regards with the wife. I guess I don't recognize it as a problem, because I never tried to retrain her. HOwever, don't mention this to my wife, she will go balistic.

Anyways, I guess the moral of this story is for you to try to think ahead of what type of "bad habits" ye ol' bell technique may produce because the bell technique works, maybe a little too well.
Her offspring are quite "handsy" too.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I agree with the schedule. Take her out every hour on the hour for a bit; along with limiting her water prior to leaving for work or going in the crate for the night. Its a pain in the butt but......work from every hour to every 90 minutes then every couple hours.

Also if you catch her in the act, startle her with a loud, "OUTSIDE!!!!!" Should spook her into stop'n...leash her up take her outside and as soon as she pees say, "do your business or go pee or whatever you want" After a bit you will be able to darn near make her pee on command by saying this.

My 5 month old GSP has just finally got to the point that he will pace near the door every 90 minutes or so and finally has no accidents in the house. He can hold his pee for 8+ hours in his crate too; but i limit water for that duration.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Pointer didn't start barking, yowling, and growling to get out until he was about 9-10 months old. Prior to that I had to pay attention to when he was at the door. Having said that, he's also a royal pain in the ass if he needs out and sometimes that manifests itself in overly rambunctious behavior.
Wow that sounds just like my 9 mo old GSP including a lot of whining if you don't jump.
The bell trick sounds like a really good option for a quiet dog. Although if I had a bell hanging on my door I believe the kids would think Santa Claus is landing in our yard all year long.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
If I'd ever trained my dogs to do anything like that, the house would sound like a church all day long...

I had a female that when still a pup would wet herself whenever she was very excited or was being chastised in any way. Hard to put up with, but she did grow out of it.

As for the situation you're in, I agree with the every hour on the hour schedule and limiting water. I would also have her sleep in a smaller crate she can't stand up in. That will help the crate situation you have.

But mostly, I would just wait it out. Some dogs train young, others don't. And take it easy on all that training, she's still just a baby, and females are so much more sensitive than the males-too much too soon and you'll pay the price.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The bell idea worked very well with my first weim. We hung it on the door handle and she rang it with her nose when she needed to go out. Didn't have any problems with her scratching any doors either. Give it a try

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Bell works real well. My youngest dog picked it up very quickly. Hasn't damaged a door, yet. Nowadays, he'll ring it, look at you, then bat it HARD until you let him out. My wife curses the bell, therefore I still have it in place.:evilsmile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts