Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out Friday night, snuggled up to the Queen, rough water ended up with two before heading down river. #7 Raps (Perch)

Hope to make it out one more time before winter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hit the BWB Friday evening, wind was suppose to die down. We cleared the BR we ran into 3 ft waves in the main river. It was nasty. Once we got to the bridge it was much better. Only got 3 fish hand lining 17 1/2", 18" & 21". I wasn't looking forward to the ride back and the wind never let up. Headed into the waves this time and noticed a small open boat hugging the wall far up in front of us. The waves were 3' and we would take water over the bow occasionally even on an angled approach. We saw the boat suddenly turn around and I thought maybe his motor died or he was having another problem. We pulled up next to him and asked if he need any help? He was bouncing as bad as us in these waves. He said he was OK and everything was alright. I didn't want to leave anyone under these bad conditions with no help nearby. We proceeded back to the launch and as I was getting to my truck, the same guy tied up his boat and came (almost running) up to us telling about his limit on the catch and that he had also caught a 5-8 lb steelie. He was excited to say the least! We enjoyed the night, his story and safe return. Note: All the fish had empty bellies by the way.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Hit the BWB Friday evening, wind was suppose to die down. We cleared the BR we ran into 3 ft waves in the main river. It was nasty. Once we got to the bridge it was much better. Only got 3 fish hand lining 17 1/2", 18" & 21". I wasn't looking forward to the ride back and the wind never let up. Headed into the waves this time and noticed a small open boat hugging the wall far up in front of us. The waves were 3' and we would take water over the bow occasionally even on an angled approach. We saw the boat suddenly turn around and I thought maybe his motor died or he was having another problem. We pulled up next to him and asked if he need any help? He was bouncing as bad as us in these waves. He said he was OK and everything was alright. I didn't want to leave anyone under these bad conditions with no help nearby. We proceeded back to the launch and as I was getting to my truck, the same guy tied up his boat and came (almost running) up to us telling about his limit on the catch and that he had also caught a 5-8 lb steelie. He was excited to say the least! We enjoyed the night, his story and safe return. Note: All the fish had empty bellies by the way.

Good to see you got out, got some fish and made it back ok. I wonder why the fish are there if they had empty bellies ??? The 23" fish I caught on Friday was absolutely stuffed with fish. It had a 3 1/2" perch and probably 40 little minnows and inch to an inch and half in its stomach.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The larger (22") female was full of minnows the other smaller was not. I talked to a couple of whippers at the boat ramp, they also had only limited success.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the U.S. side and the channel, just could not hook up with anything. Maybe the water temp. @42-43* is getting too low? What do you think?

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
I saw you over there and was wondering how you were making out? Looks like Thursday night might be a possibility to go out. Are you planning on going out some more?

Tight lines.
Was hoping Thursday night since weekend is looking like a total loss between the rain and ever blowing wind...........:sad:

Like you said not sure how much longer the fish will be around, last year I casted a day in January and caught my 1st steelhead, no wallys though. Trying to get hold of as friend that whips a lot this time of year to see when the fish drop off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Even though we feel the cold slowing us down a little, walleye seem to speed up some in late fall. So a jigging presentation may not be as effective as wire-lining from a depth and speed control perspective.

I've seen some wire-liners pulling upstream, then stopping in place, then slipping back down stream. This type of boat control has more flexibility than the standard "run upstream and drift down" jigging seems to .

On the Mississippi, where the current can be much slower in places for walleye fishing, we would 'backtroll' all over the place. upstream, across the current, and then down stream, with jigs and walking sinker rigs.

In later years, I would pull a 3-way rig, with 2 oz bell sinker on a 6" dropper, and a 2 foot leader to a #5 7 or 9 floating rapala.

I've limited out many times that way through the winter, with only 4 or so weeks off due to ice.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Even though we feel the cold slowing us down a little, walleye seem to speed up some in late fall. So a jigging presentation may not be as effective as wire-lining from a depth and speed control perspective.

I've seen some wire-liners pulling upstream, then stopping in place, then slipping back down stream. This type of boat control has more flexibility than the standard "run upstream and drift down" jigging seems to .

On the Mississippi, where the current can be much slower in places for walleye fishing, we would 'backtroll' all over the place. upstream, across the current, and then down stream, with jigs and walking sinker rigs.

In later years, I would pull a 3-way rig, with 2 oz bell sinker on a 6" dropper, and a 2 foot leader to a #5 7 or 9 floating rapala.

I've limited out many times that way through the winter, with only 4 or so weeks off due to ice.

Hope this helps.
What time of day was this working the best?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts