Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
wait i knew i saw that picture before....its a real picture and was in espn the magazine and is of a dolphin, the pic was taken in california.....either way i'm pretty sure i'd be cleaning out my swim trunks if i was that surfer

·
Registered
707 Posts
If the picture is real, no reason to believe it's not, it's a small whale or maybe a dolphin. No danger to the surfer. The dorsal fin gives it away.

I knew a group of co-workers coming back from a fishing trip, who encountered bad weather in the straits between Florida and the Bahamas. They were in a 27' Mako with twin Mercs. The boat was new and had a new (for the time) model of Mercury outboards. The owner had been having some trouble with these engines but thought he had it cured. The dealer had serviced it more than a couple of times.

Anyway, they lost an engine in following seas with waves several feet high. To make matters worse they also lost their radio. In addition, the rain was cold and only one guy actually had foul weather gear with him. Believe me, I know from experience that tropical rain can make you very cold. It was a close call with them nearly getting swamped. The trip home took several hours longer than normal. One of the waves, as it crested and rolled by, had a large tiger shark about 12ft long silhouetted in the wave, just like the photo above. As the story was told to me, one of the guys (there were three) actually was so scared, he started crying like a baby. If you knew this guy, you'd have thought he was the toughest of the three. When it came down to it, he folded.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
When we lived in Guam we woudl goou to the end of the reef in the evening and we would have Black Tipped sharks swimming around us. They weren't even interested in us and it was awesome watching them feed. I wish I could have seen dolphins more we only saw them one day and they were way out in the ocean jumping.:) that's a sweet pic:)

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
It is a real pic and it is a DOLPHIN as stated above. You can look it up. Its all over the web. The guy that shot it is an outdoor marine photograhper. He has a website, dont remember it though. Cool shot none the less though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts