Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to East Lansing for work in August after being in eastern Virginia for a few years, just getting back into trout fishing. Grew up fishing in the Wolverine/Gaylord area, but don't have much stream knowledge here.

I know streams are unmentionable, can anybody PM me some places where I could pop in with waders and explore from there? I can look up streams but would prefer not to drive around forever looking for a place I can access. Hoping for within 1.5 hours of East Lansing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Buy one of these. It shows you trout streams, across points and is ok for finding state land, gets you in the general area any how. This map book .Along with a bunch of other stuff. I think they are 30 bucks at Walmart. Also one of the Michigan trout books. I forgot which one I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just bought a used one online, thank you.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Mi-hunt app is good for finding state land. Not so good for trout streams though. There are a couple of over lays though that you can play around with. The gps system is accurate and so are state land boundaries .

I’m positive this is the book I have. I can’t find it at the moment it’s somewhere in my house. I’ve read it 100’s of times cover to cover.

It is geared towards fly fishing but, has a lot valuable info in it. Some of what the state considers trout water may only get a couple steel head in it a year. The book kinda just gives you a general run down on the streams. A lot of non trout water is also covered like the Shiawassee River for fly fishing smallies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Must say, what Kzoo posted is probably the best resource to find your resource. Like that???

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
The trout streams between Lansing and GR in the guidebook will point you in the right direction. Explore some of the type 4 streams at bridge crossings, but stay within the road right of way to get in and out of the stream. Some are better than others and some sections are almost void of trout while others will produce dandy browns. Be ready to catch some steelhead smolts if fishing anything connected to the Grand without a impossible damn downstream. These larger tribs are mainly brown trout as for resident fish. There are some type 1s that do hold browns, brook trout and steelhead smolts. They are pretty small and difficult to fish, unless on public land, please respect the surrounding landowners and get permission.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.