1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 8, 2015

Contact: Nick Popoff, 517-284-6235 or Ed Golder, 517-284-5815
DNR to host public meetings in July regarding proposed changes
to fishing regulations

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources has announced a schedule of public meetings in July to discuss several fishing regulation changes proposed for 2016.

These meetings will take place in each of the eight management units that oversee Michigan’s fisheries. The public is invited to attend to learn about proposed regulations, ask questions and discuss local issues.

The major issues to be discussed at these meetings are in relation to a proposed list of catch-and-delayed-release lakes for bass-fishing tournaments, chumming regulations, and a steelhead bag limit reduction for four rivers.

Sixteen water bodies are being proposed for catch-and-delayed-release bass tournaments. Catch-and-delayed-release means temporarily holding bass in a live-well for tournament weigh-in purposes. The change to chumming regulations refers to allowing no more than 1 quart of chum in an angler’s possession. The proposal to reduce the steelhead bag limit pertains to the Muskegon, Pere Marquette, Little Manistee and Big Manistee rivers.

Meeting dates, times and locations include:

Southern Lake Michigan Management Unit
  • Wednesday, July 29, 7 to 8 p.m. (EST) at D&R Sports Center,
    8178 W. Main St. in Kalamazoo.
Central Lake Michigan Management Unit
  • Monday, July 27, 6 to 7:30 p.m. (EST) at John Graves Lodge,
    4684 Evergreen Drive (M-37) in Newaygo.
  • Tuesday, July 28, 6 to 7:30 p.m. (EST) at Onekama Consolidated
    Schools’ media center, 5016 Main St. in Onekama.
Northern Lake Michigan/Eastern Lake Superior/Western Lake Superior management units
  • Thursday, July 30, 6:30 to 8 p.m. (EST) at the DNR Pocket Park in the U.P.
    State Fairgrounds, 2401 12th Ave. North in Escanaba.
    • Please note, two additional proposed regulation changes will be discussed at this particular meeting (covering three management units). These include proposals to 1) modify the one-over-23-inches walleye slot limit boundary line for Little Bay de Noc, and 2) change the fishing regulations for lake sturgeon on the Menominee River between the Park Mill dam and the Grand Rapids dam.
Lake Erie Management Unit
  • Tuesday, July 21, 7 to 8:30 p.m. (EST) at the Waterford Fisheries Office,
    7806 Gale Road in Waterford.
Southern Lake Huron Management Unit
  • Monday, July 13, 6:30 to 8 p.m. (EST) at the Saginaw Bay Visitor Center,
    3582 State Park Drive in Bay City.
Northern Lake Huron Management Unit
  • Wednesday, July 29, 6:30 to 8 p.m. (EST) at the Tuscarora Township Hall,
    3546 S. Straits Highway in Indian River.
Meeting details also are available on the DNR website at michigan.gov/fishing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the proposed lakes for Catch and Delayed Release
1) Lake Charlevoix (Charlevoix County)
2) Houghton Lake (Roscommon County)
3) Burt Lake (Cheboygan/Emmet County)
4) Mullett Lake (Cheboygan County)
5) Hardy Dam Pond (Newaygo County)
6) White Lake (Muskegon County)
7) Muskegon Lake (Muskegon County)
8) Gull Lake (Barry/Kalamazoo County)
9) Gun Lake (Barry County)
10)Kent Lake (Oakland County)
11)Portage Chain (Livingson/Washtenaw County)
12)Cass Lake (Oakland County)
13)Wixom Lake (Gladwin County)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Hmmm, four of my favorite early season lakes on that list. Lakes that I tend to avoid after tournament season starts. Does Fisheries have any baseline surveys for angler hours on the proposed lakes? I'll fish them next year regardless but if I end up having to compete for spots I'll blow off the long drives in the future.

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
Not more tournaments. Never ran into ruder, more inconsiderate fishermen than the guys in quest of the prize at the end of the day. Cut you off, try to push you right off the spot you are fishing, I have even had them cut between me and the structure I was casting to "I'm sorry, I'll be gone in a minute, we fished this spot in practice." Zip by an anchored boat with kids in the Water at 75 feet and 60mph. This making of fishing into a money sport make people who are probably rude jackasses anyhow even worse. Enough tournaments till the jackasses are brought under control. We need law enforcement to follow these tournaments and start writing citation for their unbecoming conduct that reflect negatively upon the entire tournament gang.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I could not agree more. Twice last year my wife and I had the very same experience (not to mention how they acted at the dock) you just said. In favor of having law enforcement on the lake with them. As a matter of fact, if anyone happens to know the schedule for Berrien, Cass and Van Buren counties please send it to me so we can avoid the whole thing all together..

·
Registered
420 Posts
Paul, do you remember those scumbags that stopped 40 yards past the spot we were fishing to dump the bass that had died in their livewell on the way back to their weigh-in at Harley? I only wish that we were able to get their MC numbers and turn the jerks into the authorities. I know that those guys are the exception the rule when it comes to tournament fishermen in general(and I know a few of them) but I have to agree with you that fishing for money and prizes kind of defeats the purpose of getting out there with family and friends for a fun day on the water for me. If y'all want to fish tournaments, more power to ya' but try to show as much courtesy for the folks that are out there FOR THE FUN OF IT as you would anybody else.---just my $0.02 RLM

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
Paul, do you remember those scumbags that stopped 40 yards past the spot we were fishing to dump the bass that had died in their livewell on the way back to their weigh-in at Harley? I only wish that we were able to get their MC numbers and turn the jerks into the authorities.
Yes, that was special. Money tournaments bring out the worst in people.
I have seen so much inexcusable behavior from these bassholes it would take a hundred lines to list each incident.

·
Premium Member
12,901 Posts
What Essox says !

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
A large percentage of the tournament directors work with D&R Sports, they might have schedules. I just try to fish the lakes with 6 or fewer spots at the access.

Reactions: ggerad

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is a post about a public meeting and ALL of us are chatting about rude A-hole tourney guys. Maybe that should be a sign for the MDNR! There are plenty of old rock quarries that would be great for them to hold their gathering of jacka$$'s. We all have stories but when I had a group (I counted 3 but wife says there was more) cut between my trailer and boat as I was backing up the trailer to load the boat I lost it! I have two marks on my boat from one yellow 250hp boat that literally pushed my boat out of the way with my wife in the boat as I was backing up my trailer. SERIOUSLY?! He was reported to the MDNR. And being pushed off spots?! I saw a group of jacka$$'s coming my way and started acting like I was catching them over and over. Even loudly mentioned a lure or color. I laughed as I watched these guys muscle their way right into the rocks I was avoiding and as they were scraping up their overpriced boats they realized I was catching small gills. I got a few dirty looks. Far fewer tournaments... PLEASE!! btw, I'd voice my opinion in person but I work 2nd shift

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
If you can't make a meeting just send Jay or whichever biologist is in your district an email. Doesn't matter whether you support the change or not, the DNR would like to hear from as many people as possible.

If you don't know who your biologist is you can contact the management unit and they will be happy to help. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364-211971--,00.html#management

·
Registered
606 Posts
Agree with Esox and others regarding overall attitudes of bass tournament fishermen. I've been freshwater fishing in multiple US states for over 40 years. In the past 12 years I've fished in MI I don't think I have ever seen a bass boat, let alone with two guys, not powerload their rig. Not idling on either, and not only MI registered boats but OH and other out-of-town rigs. Why does this entitled attitude persist among bass tournament anglers? I'll never forget one time I was fishing on Lake Washington in WA state, anchored about 15 feet (yes, 15 feet) off a dock and a Ranger bass boat with two guys is casting the shore and is coming towards me. Incredibly, the guy on the troll (boat owner no doubt) just goes right between me and the dock, doesn't even say anything. After he gets about 50 yards down I hooked a 4 lb. smallie, and you can bet they heard it jumping. Would have loved to see the looks on their faces - karma is alive and well.

We all knew this was the true agenda of Dan K. and his cronies. Would love to know who among them is an actual scientific researcher who has published in peer- reviewed journals or given oral presentations at scientific meetings. I dare you to find a PhD or fisheries biologist among them yet they claim to "have science on their side". Because they've bass fished during the spawn (we all know they were just "crappie fishing" in April on LSC, right?) and have observed the fish from above the water (unlike Kim Stricker) on beds that makes them "experts" and "biologists". Early season CIR was just enacted by MDNR this year but that's not good enough for them. As was said, the last thing we as MI anglers and sportsmen want or need is for these bass tourney guys to ruin these 13 fisheries with CDR. Would love to get the word out to each of those 13 lake's residents and associations and let them know what will happen if bass tournaments are held prior to the traditional opener.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Got to see it first hand last weekend. Went down to marina park on Burt lake to watch the weigh in and saw multiple boats power load the **** out of the new ramps. Back your trailer in further or crank the boat up like a normal person. The town worked hard on making this nice launch and some of these guys show no respect. Makes a bad impression for the tournament crowd.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I hope this catch and delayed release doesn't pass. wish the meetings were closer. Can you Email the NRC to voice my oppinion?

·
Registered
146 Posts
It seems kind of soon to push for something like this after a brand new rule change this year. Wouldn't it be wiser to see how the current changes go for a few year first before we rush into another major change?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am a little upset about this proposal. And the current regulation changes were proposed I mentioned here that the science i am aware of does not support early season angling for bass. I was told I was wrong, the science supports it. I was looking at articles for oligotrophic lakes, I needed to look at more productive lakes that were studied. Well, with the changes that were passed at least it was immediate release so the impact of fishing should be minimized. I was worried the changes were just a stepping stone for tournament anglers to then push further. Now, I see this list and there at least 3 oligotrophic lakes on the list. And the tournament anglers are pushing for more again. After not even ONE year after the new proposals. This is not using science to manage resources. This is is just putting tournaments before the resources. We passed laws so that the resources would be managed by science, not public opinion. Now it seems like it is the tournament anglers trying to push changes based on personal opinion and desire, not the anti's.

The fisheries come before the anglers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am a little upset about this proposal. And the current regulation changes were proposed I mentioned here that the science i am aware of does not support early season angling for bass. I was told I was wrong, the science supports it. I was looking at articles for oligotrophic lakes, I needed to look at more productive lakes that were studied. Well, with the changes that were passed at least it was immediate release so the impact of fishing should be minimized. I was worried the changes were just a stepping stone for tournament anglers to then push further. Now, I see this list and there at least 3 oligotrophic lakes on the list. And the tournament anglers are pushing for more again. After not even ONE year after the new proposals. This is not using science to manage resources. This is is just putting tournaments before the resources. We passed laws so that the resources would be managed by science, not public opinion. Now it seems like it is the tournament anglers trying to push changes based on personal opinion and desire, not the anti's.

The fisheries come before the anglers.
Agreed. We can all see that the motives were/are in fact 100% selfish with regard to bass tournament anglers. They would be the only ones to benefit from a change. Since everyone in the state of Michigan can now (legally) fish for bass from ice out to ice up, what would be the reason for implementing CDR? Might as well go one step further and make it catch and keep because the delayed mortality rate will increase (relative to CIR) and removal of fish into livewells will negatively impact the female bass by stressing them unnecessarily. Dumping 5 big prespawn females into a livewell all day so one can hold em up at the end of the day wrecks the fishery. There is absolutely no reason to approve CDR before Memorial Day weekend. Any bass angler can now fish for bass, quickly take a picture (if desired) and release it immediately. That's protecting the fisheries.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts